Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

New member, cannot successfully add a network

This is a discussion on New member, cannot successfully add a network within the New Member Introduction & Site Assistance forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I am a new member and just purchased my new Kindle Fire yesterday. I have been unable to add and connect to a network through ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

New member, cannot successfully add a network

I am a new member and just purchased my new Kindle Fire yesterday. I have been unable to add and connect to a network through my home laptop Verizon broadband network. Can someone help me?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Welcome to the forum.
    What steps have you taken so far?

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Verizon broadband is a 3g network and you will not be able to connect the wifi directly to the 3g network. You will need a 3g to wifi hotspot device or router. Some phones have this capability built in, I haven't seen this built into laptops, but it might be a feature of your 3g card. In any case you don't want to have to boot your laptop to get wifi for the Fire....sort of defeats the purpose :-)

edit: I just realized that maybe your Verizon broadband is a landline network...DSL or Fios? in which case you probably already have a wifi router.
    Last edited by hartshwk; 02-05-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Member #
    I am trying to connect through my laptop computer with a Verizon broadband card. On the bottom of the card I found the SSID and password and entered this info into my Kindle Fire. I was connected to the web for a half hour or so yesterday, but lost the connection and have not been able to get it back since. I have rebooted both my laptop and my Kindle Fire and nothing. When I go back into Wi-Fi on my Kindle, the correct network is listed, but when I enter the password, I get an error message "Unable to connect to the selected access point. Please check the password you have provided:"

I apologize that I am not very tech savvy, but I think the broadband card that I insert into my laptop is the router you are talking about? I'm not sure. Sorry.
    Last edited by beakin0149; 02-05-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Are you positive that when you were connected yesterday it was through your Verizon broadband network. It is possible that the Fire searched out and found an unprotected wifi network in your neighborhood and connected through that. I don't know enough about the 3g cards to help you much there. In all likelyhood there is an installed utility on your laptop that will access the 3g card and the help menus in that utility may provide the information you need on finding and setting up passwords for a wifi hotspot.

Maybe the helpline at Verizon broadband can point you in the right direction.
    Last edited by hartshwk; 02-05-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Member #
    I'm sure I connected to my broadband network yesterday. My home is located out in the country away from most all networks. When the network name appeared on my Fire, it added the word "Secure" after the Network SSID name Verizon MIFI2200 014F. I don't know if this is helpful or not.

Member #
    Thank you for trying to help me. I will contact Verizon for help.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    The mifi 2200 is a wifi hotspot capable of supporting up to 5 wifi clients so you should be OK there. Are you sure you have the correct PW and have selected the correct security encryption?

The MiFi is not a card, it's a stand alone device so you have me confused on that point.
    Last edited by strollin; 02-05-2012 at 04:41 PM.

Member #
    To strollin, You are correct, my calling my MiFi 2200 device a card was incorrect. It is a stand alone device. As far as the password being correct, I took it directly off of the back of my MiFi 2200. I guess I am uncertain what the security enryption is. Where can I find that information?

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Here's a link to the MiFi manual. mifi2200.pdf

In there it will show you how to access the MiFi config page (enter 192.168.1.1 into the browser on your laptop while it is connected to the MiFi,use PW of admin). The sticker on the bottom was the ssid/pw when it was shipped from the factory, it may have been changed by you or someone else. The config screens will show what the connect passphrase and which security encryption it is using. You will need to verify that the KF is using the same passphrase and encryption. Best way would probably be to tell the KF to "forget" the connection then re-enter the info and save it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links