Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Newbe Needs Assistance With Audio Books

This is a discussion on Newbe Needs Assistance With Audio Books within the New Member Introduction & Site Assistance forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Hi. I have had my Fire for a couple of weeks now & just love it. I moved all of my EPub & Mobi books ...

Member #

Newbe Needs Assistance With Audio Books

Hi. I have had my Fire for a couple of weeks now & just love it. I moved all of my EPub & Mobi books to it & like reading in the evening without having to have a light attached. I used my local library for many ebooks with my Sony; but now with the Fire I have some questions to use my local library. How do I download Overdrive to the Fire? Which download do I use? And do I need a special program to listen to audiobooks from my Overdrive account? Thanks for any assistance you can give and loking forward to learning about my Fire on this site.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I'm told, but haven't tried this yet, that you can sideload Overdrive from the Android Market & then be able to use it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have the overdrive media console on my KF. I's free from 1mobile market.com. Be aware the KF only supports MP3 audio books. I wasn't paying attention and borrowed a WMA audiobook .When I tried to download it overdrive showed a Msg stating the format was not supported. I'm looking for a small to mp3 converter but so far not any luck. Overdrive does work normally for an mp3 audiobook.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by flathat View Post
    I have the overdrive media console on my KF. I's free from 1mobile market.com. Be aware the KF only supports MP3 audio books. I wasn't paying attention and borrowed a WMA audiobook .When I tried to download it overdrive showed a Msg stating the format was not supported. I'm looking for a small to mp3 converter but so far not any luck. Overdrive does work normally for an mp3 audiobook.
    Can you walk someone through process of getting overdrive on kf from pc thats not very knowledgeable? Do you also put 1mobile market.com on kf too or just on pc?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I used my browser on my KF and did a search for 1mobile market - there are a lot of choices. Pick one and select download. It will load to your KF. Once loaded it will ask you to install. Once installed it will be in your apps tab. When you open it tap the menu at the bottom of the page, select search, enter overdrive and it will bring it up. Download it and install it. VOILA you now have the overdrive media console and can go to get books. 1mobile market is another site to get free apps. I find between 1 mobile, getjar and Amazon I get what I need and don't worry about rooting it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by flathat View Post
    I used my browser on my KF and did a search for 1mobile market - there are a lot of choices. Pick one and select download. It will load to your KF. Once loaded it will ask you to install. Once installed it will be in your apps tab. When you open it tap the menu at the bottom of the page, select search, enter overdrive and it will bring it up. Download it and install it. VOILA you now have the overdrive media console and can go to get books. 1mobile market is another site to get free apps. I find between 1 mobile, getjar and Amazon I get what I need and don't worry about rooting it.
    Thanks got overdrive on kf and put a mp3 audiobook on kf from pc via usb cable and it showed up on Es File Explorer instead of overdrive media consule. It works, but it looks like there is no bookmark feature on es file explorer and overdrive does seem have bookmarks buttom, how do I get audiobook to go from es file explorer to overdrive media console?
    Last edited by tersec; 02-03-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I assume the MP3 book you put on your KF is one you have checked out from a library. There are a couple of ways you can get it into Overdrive. Since you now have OD on your KF as long as you have a wifi connection you can open OD then touch the menu button at the bottom of the display. on the left side is an icon for Get Books - select that. You will be asked for a library - you can add all you have library cards for so the next time a list will come up for you to select the one you want. If you touch Add a Library it will open a search window so you can browse to the one where you have the book checked out. once you're on the libray site go to the section where you checked out the book - under the audiobooks you should see Overdrive - select that. When that opens select My Overdrive Account. you will be asked to login with your library card number and pin. Once signed in select MY Bookshelf and you will see a list of the items you currently have checked out and when they expire. Click the DOWNLOAD button beneath the item you want to download (it has to be MP3 is it's and audio book) and it will then be sent to your KF. Once completed you should then be able to open OD and the book should be there. tap on it and it should begin to play.

Another way is use ES file explorer to move the file you already copied over to the OVERDRIVE FOLDER (/sdcard/OverDrive). you'll need to to put it in a folder with the name of the title in that directory. If you already have it in a folder then you should be able to copy that folder over. When you open OD the book should show up on the list.

Still another option is use OD on you PC. If you don't have it you can download it from the OD website. Here's the directions from OD:

How do I transfer titles to portable devices?

1.Open OverDrive Media Console.

2.Select a title and click the 'Transfer' button.
    The Transfer Wizard opens and the 'Welcome' screen is displayed.

3.Connect your device to your computer.
    Click 'Next'.

4.The Transfer Wizard searches for a device.
    When your device is detected the 'Confirm' screen is displayed.

5.Select the Part(s) you want to transfer.
    Click 'Next' to transfer the Part(s).

6.When the transfer is complete, the 'Success' screen is displayed.
    Disconnect your device.

7.Click 'Finish' to close the Transfer Wizard.

There is a maximium number of devices you can download a checkedout item to but I don't remeber what that is. I have an audiobook on 2 pc's, my KF and a Pandigital supernova tablet.

Hope this helps

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Welcome to the site.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links