Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Hi, New Here, Looking For Repair Places With Good Reputations

This is a discussion on Hi, New Here, Looking For Repair Places With Good Reputations within the New Member Introduction & Site Assistance forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I thought Amazon used to have a forum for this, maybe they dropped it. Anyway I bought my mother a Kindle Fire HD 10 when ...

Member #

Hi, New Here, Looking For Repair Places With Good Reputations

I thought Amazon used to have a forum for this, maybe they dropped it.

Anyway I bought my mother a Kindle Fire HD 10 when they came out and now it's dead. It won't take a charge at all, but I'm pretty sure it's not just the jack, I've been through that before.

It was working normally (I guess), then suddenly it wouldn't charge at all. I've tried about 3-4 chargers and different cords. I used my DrOK meter plugged into a charger, plugged a known good cable into it, plugged it into the Kindle, and it rebooted the DrOK. Tried it a few times, it did the same thing. In other cases using the DrOK will show when it's drawing charging current, sometimes you have to hold sideways on a plug or something. This refuses to work at all.

I tried one guy on ebay, he only fixes the typical "charging port" problem, meaning the connector itself. I think this is more a problem in the charging circuitry, maybe it needs a motherboard replaced or something. Not sure it's worthwhile. If it were me using it I'd rather have a generic Android tablet, maybe a Samsung or Lenovo, because a lot of normal Android stuff just doesn't work, like the gmail app.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alan01346 View Post
    I thought Amazon used to have a forum for this, maybe they dropped it.

Anyway I bought my mother a Kindle Fire HD 10 when they came out and now it's dead. It won't take a charge at all, but I'm pretty sure it's not just the jack, I've been through that before.

It was working normally (I guess), then suddenly it wouldn't charge at all. I've tried about 3-4 chargers and different cords. I used my DrOK meter plugged into a charger, plugged a known good cable into it, plugged it into the Kindle, and it rebooted the DrOK. Tried it a few times, it did the same thing. In other cases using the DrOK will show when it's drawing charging current, sometimes you have to hold sideways on a plug or something. This refuses to work at all.

I tried one guy on ebay, he only fixes the typical "charging port" problem, meaning the connector itself. I think this is more a problem in the charging circuitry, maybe it needs a motherboard replaced or something. Not sure it's worthwhile. If it were me using it I'd rather have a generic Android tablet, maybe a Samsung or Lenovo, because a lot of normal Android stuff just doesn't work, like the gmail app.
    Well at a guess it's either: - the charger, the lead 5he charging port or the battery. With out it in my hand I can5 really tell you which, they have been known to spring into life if you get a good lead and plug it into a USB and leave for a good while. So try that

If it turn out to be the battery, then you can source replacements on Ebay and fit it yourself in 10 minutes, consult you tube or pay a phone shop to do it.

Or ring up Amazon and complain and they will give you a discount on a new one
    Last edited by jobo; 05-30-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Member #
    I've left it plugged into a charger overnight a couple times. Ordered a battery, downloaded a video on how to change it. That thing was new in 2015 from looking around, that lithium battery is old enough to be failing. It's odd, the battery isn't many more MAH than a 18650 lithium cell, I could maybe mount a holder for one of those on the back and be able to just change batteries when it runs down, I've got a dozen or more of them, use them in LED flashlights.

Quote Originally Posted by jobo View Post
    Well at a guess it's either: - the charger, the lead 5he charging port or the battery. With out it in my hand I can5 really tell you which, they have been known to spring into life if you get a good lead and plug it into a USB and leave for a good while. So try that

If it turn out to be the battery, then you can source replacements on Ebay and fit it yourself in 10 minutes, consult you tube or pay a phone shop to do it.

Or ring up Amazon and complain and they will give you a discount on a new one

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alan01346 View Post
    I've left it plugged into a charger overnight a couple times. Ordered a battery, downloaded a video on how to change it. That thing was new in 2015 from looking around, that lithium battery is old enough to be failing. It's odd, the battery isn't many more MAH than a 18650 lithium cell, I could maybe mount a holder for one of those on the back and be able to just change batteries when it runs down, I've got a dozen or more of them, use them in LED flashlights.
    Pluging them in to a USB rather than a charger takes the over charge function of the charger out of the equation and has been known to untick a sticky battery. But then really cheap chargere have the same advantage.

I'd just get an auxiliary charging battery rather than mounting a cell on the back

Member #
    But mounting a cell on the back gets the microusb connector out of the equation. I've had problems with almost every one I've run into except in Raspberry Pis where they're plugged in for months at a time. The Kindle Fire is a replacement for another that probably needed a microusb and a battery, put a rubberband pulling sideways on it and it would charge, all that stuff. On my phone I use a clothespin on the connector and 2 rubberbands holding the connector in hard by pulling on the clothespin.

This is a cheap Chinese charger, the latest of 3 I've tried, it puts out about 5.3 volts. No difference in how it works.

The other thing you can do is wire cells in parallel. I have 3 of these now, they're 20 watt LED flashlights that run on a pair of 18650 cells in parallel https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...65897e91tUnZn6 You can pull out either cell and it keeps running, so if you wanted uptime on your Kindle for some reason you could keep changing out one cell at a time. Or try 4 or 8 of them.
    Last edited by alan01346; 06-01-2019 at 11:33 AM. Reason: typo, parallel

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links