Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

No clue

This is a discussion on No clue within the New Member Introduction & Site Assistance forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; My wife just got a fire and when we try to gain the internet thru wi-fi..it ask's for a password for acess..?? Where would we ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No clue

Member #

No clue

My wife just got a fire and when we try to gain the internet thru wi-fi..it ask's for a password for acess..?? Where would we find this password....??

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    The first question is if it is your own wireless router that you are attempting to connect to. If it is your own router then you should have the password written down on some paperwork the ISP left for you when they hooked you up. If you are not trying to connect to your own equipment but trying to connect to a neighbor or a commercial wifi network....well then you have to ask them what the password is (but of course the reason for password protecting a private network is so other people won't use it)

If you go to a public wifi hotspot like your local library or coffee shop or McDonalds you should be able to connect no problem.

edit: There are some communities that are providing WIFI service at the community wide level for residents of that community. If that is the case you may need to contact your community wifi provider and sign up, or log in or register or whatever term they are using. However most of the community systems I have seen allow you to connect and register online. If you live in an apartment or condo complex it is also possible that WIFI is provided by the landlord or condo association....again you would need to get the password from them, although you may already have it on file in your rental or association documents.
    Last edited by hartshwk; 03-03-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Member #
    Thanks so much...my daughter-inlaw set it up at her house and must of used her password to connect...we have no router as of yet but will be getting one soon...and that was going to be my next question..which router do I need...?? and I assume when I do get one I can use that password to connect to wi-fi..???

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Do you presently have internet service? Actually the I have found the people at Best Buy or Staples give mostly adequate advice, if you are not a big technology household just tell them what you want to do with the Kindle and after they tell you what to buy ask them if there is anything less expensive that will work for you (there always is). If you do not presently have internet service you will have to talk to a Service Provider...phone company, cable company....to get connected and they can set you right up, including the WIFI.

Member #
    I do have internet service ( Brighthouse combo TV.phone high speed internet )....so thats not a problem....I have heard that some ISP would provide a customer with a router..???

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Welcome to the forum.
    When selecting a router some things to consider are price and what it will be used for along with what your internet service provider is. When you go to look at them the choices can seem overwhelming but just decide before you go about how much you want to spend and what you will be using it for.
    I have Verizon dsl for internet and my first router was a Belkin that I paid $30 for. It lasted about a year but came with a 90 warranty. My current router is a linksys that I paid $70 for including a 2 year extended warranty but there are many more that have more features at a higher price.
    If you plan in just using the Fire and maybe a laptop and not taking it hundreds of feet from the router a lower priced unit will suffice. I've got 12 different devices connected to mine at any given time , mostly around 3 or 4 at the same time, with no problems and none travel more than 300' from the router for the most part.
    As far as password setup, that is in how you set your security. Open ( or guest) networks require no password but when you set your router up you'll be given choices as how you want your security setup along with how to do it with most software now. The days of needing a degree in IT to set up a home network are pretty much gone with todays software included with routers.
    If you need any help with setting your network up please feel free to ask. We are here to help in any way we can and were newbs at some point as well.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

Member #
    Thanks for the welcome......It will only be used with our current desk top....and just around the house maybe 40 feet....and I did take a look at some in Walmart the other day...and the $$$ were from 30.00 to around 90.00..and different speeds.???/ so I was a little confused............

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Basically almost any router is capable of sending data to the Fire from the router faster than what your internet sends to the router. A "G" speed, which is usually considered the slowest speed, is capable of sending 54 Mbps to your Fire or any device. Unless your internet is faster than that you really won't NEED to spend the extra money to get a "N" speed (300Mbps or faster) router and it will be like driving a race car in a residential zone but if you don't minds spending a few extra coins for N you will get more features and extra range (walls can truly hinder the range so even if it states 400' that would assume line of sight distance with no physical obstructions such as walls and floors) . I went with an N this time to increase the range since my router is in the ground floor and some devices are used on the third floor. With a G they worked ok but had weak reception upstairs and cordless phones being used would make the connections drop.
    Hope that helps.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I've set up several of these over the years, using the DD-WRT firmware (chosen at setup, versus the 'stock' Buffalo firmware), and have gotten excellent performance and uptime. I have no qualms recommending it to anyone.

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Techno...0809102&sr=8-2

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    ALOHA & welcome to the forum. Ur in good hands & they are giving excellent advices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links