Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Battery Life

This is a discussion on Battery Life within the Kindle Fire HDX Forum forums, part of the Kindle Fire Device Specific Sections category; I recently picked up a Fire HDX. I used to have a first edition Fire and the battery seemed to last forever. I charge my ...

Thread: Battery Life

Member #

Battery Life

I recently picked up a Fire HDX. I used to have a first edition Fire and the battery seemed to last forever. I charge my Fire HDX and I'm lucky if I get three days out it on stand-by. Anybody else have this issue or know a trick to extend the battery life?

dvdcatalyst
    Hi,

Welcome to the forums.

What does your normal Kindle use look like?

I don't have a HDX myself, so I can't give you any specifics, but if you give us an idea as to what you use your HDX for, we might be able to suggest a few things.

Member #
    Unfortunately i don't use it much. I read at night before bed. I get maybe three days out of a charge. My old Fire I would charge maybe every two weeks. I'm just curious if there is a setting I missed that could elongate the life of its battery. The other question I have is if the "Mayday" button really exists. I looked for it to get some technical advise on the issue, but can't find it.

dvdcatalyst
    The Mayday button should be in the top-menu. Just swipe from top down-wards.

This video should help:

As for the battery-life, if its mainly reading you do, turning off wifi and maybe reducing the brightness a bit should help extend.

Also check for apps that are and remain running in the background. If you have apps on it you don't use, just uninstall them.

If you install "free app of the day" apps every now and then, make sure that no bad stuff is installed along with them. Many app developers that participate with the free-app-of-the-day stuff bundle spyware/adware with their apps. Some even release a "clean" app for a fee first, and when they are approved for the free-app-of-the-day, they hurry and "update" their app with crapware.

Member #
    I wish I got three days from my 5th generation fire. I charge it over night, unplug it at 0800,by 1700 it's dead. Granted that is running YouTube and connected to Wi-Fi and I don't know if that's normal, but very very poor battery life.

Member #
    I don't have a HDX myself, so I can't give you any specifics, but if you give us an idea as to what you use your HDX for, we might be able to suggest a few things.

Member #
    I have a Kindle Fire (don't know what version, and not sure how to tell which version). Since the recent OS software updates, my battery life is totally erratic. I always keep the kindle on airplane mode unless downloading books. I used to leave it on after reading, with no problems, but since the upgrade (that seems to be when the life went down so notably), I've been turning it off every time I finish reading. That 's all I used it for. Yesterday a.m. I charged it to 100 %, and turned it off then, until 1000 at night, ready to read. I read no more than 15 min. using the blue shade "on", and it dropped to 4%!!!!! Does Blue Shade use that much power? (I turn it on, then off, each time I read, then power the Kindle down...) HELP!!! This seems crazy! WallieGator

Member #
    I have added an external battery to my Kindle Fire HDX in order to extend the life of this fine product. Anyone interested in receiving a brief write up on what I have done, send me an E-mail at
    edsack12@gmail.com and I will be happy to forward.

Ed Sack
    Coronado, CA

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links