Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Screen is locked in portrait mode, despite having it unlocked in the settings

This is a discussion on Screen is locked in portrait mode, despite having it unlocked in the settings within the Kindle Fire HD General Discussion forums, part of the Kindle Fire Device Specific Sections category; I've recently acquired a Kindle Fire HD 8.9", and it seems that just in a few hours, I've managed to mess something up. The screen ...

+ Reply to Thread
    Member #

Question Screen is locked in portrait mode, despite having it unlocked in the settings

I've recently acquired a Kindle Fire HD 8.9", and it seems that just in a few hours, I've managed to mess something up. The screen is stuck in portrait mode, but it will rotate 180 degrees into the opposite portrait mode setting. It will NOT however, rotate 90 degrees into landscape mode. I've checked, rechecked, and played around with the lock button in the settings and notifications I can pull down from the top of the screen. The only way for me to get it into landscape mode is to enter Skype, which forced it into horizontal mode, and then hit the lock button there to keep it that way. If I exit Skype, and go somewhere else, it will stay in landscape until I unlock the screen rotation. It will continue to stay in horizontal, until the device is physically rotate, at which time the screen will go back into the horizontal/portrait lock mode it is stuck in. After quite a bit of fruitless internet searching, I've decided I'm better off asking here.

P.S. If you say check the lock setting on the notification screen ONE MORE TIME I will murder you, internet.

Member #

Stuck in portrait mode-

Hi,
    Did you check the lock setting on the notification screen ? Just kidding. I have noticed that if you are watching video using stock video player it stays in portrait mode. I us MX Player and it never does that. It goes into landscape mode when I turn the screen. Just saying. Hope it helps.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I suggest you call Kindle Tech Support (toll free) at 1-877-453-4512. Its possible your sensor is not working properly and they can check it out for you. They are very nice and they take their time to explain what could cause your problem. fdalbor

Member #
    I will do, fdalbor. I was hoping that there was some sort of hidden feature or something that I was missing, other than the obvious rotation lock in the notification screen. Can a rotation sensor fail at detecting rotation on only one axis? Also, a game called "Happy Jump" that works fine on our iPad doesn't detect tilt (which is necessary for the concept of the game to work)

Ads