Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Access to Folders on Kindle Fire

This is a discussion on Access to Folders on Kindle Fire within the Kindle Fire HD General Discussion forums, part of the Kindle Fire Device Specific Sections category; What setting do I have to change or what do I have to download, either to my Kindle or my desktop, to be able to ...

Member #

Access to Folders on Kindle Fire

What setting do I have to change or what do I have to download, either to my Kindle or my desktop, to be able to move files back and forth to my Kindle? To recognize it as a mass storage device.

If I hook up my phone, Droid, it is recognized right away and I can get to it. But not my Kindle.

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    What are you using to hook up your phone? If you have a USB cable you can hook the PC and Kindle togeather. After hooking up the cable turn on your Kindle and swipe the yellow activate line like you are turning on the Kindle. The Kindle should appear as a mass storage device on your desktop and will show you all the folders that are on your kindle that you can move files to.

You can then drag and drop files from the desktop to the Kindle or the other way around. If the connection is made correctly the Kindle will display "You can now transfer files from your computer to the Kindle". You can not use your Kindle as anything but a storage device when it is hooked up this way. fdalbor

Member #
    Sorry, fdalbor, I should have specified. Yes, I meant with a USB cable.

But when I hook up my Kindle to my desktop I do not get that message. The Kindle does not show up in Explorer as a a storage device nor does it show up as a device in "My Computer".

Running Windows XP

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Is that the same USB cable you are using to hook up your phone to the PC? Which Fire do you own? I have the original. So if you have a newer model what happens after you hook up the two togeather may be different than what it is with my original.

If the new models are the same as the old it sounds like the Kindle is not getting the message that it is hooked up to a PC. Wonder if the USB cable is good? Which is why I asked if its the same cable you used to attatch the phone.

I have a ebook that I got from C-net that was written for the newer models. I will check it and see if anything is different on the newer models to get connected with a USB cable. fdalbor

Member #
    What ebook do you have? I would like to find a good book about Kindles. Let me know if you would.

btw, I had to upgrade my Windows Media player in order to be able to connect with USB. I think I got it resolved.

Thnx

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    The book I was talking about is called "Mastering the Kindle Fire" by Sharon Vaknin and it is available from the web site C-net. Another good one is "Kindle Fire Tips & Tricks"by Tim Sievers that is available from Amazon. Glad to see you have MASTERED the art of using the USB transfer. Both of the before mentioned books were free at one time; but I don't know if they still are.

I was considering getting one of the newer Fires because of the use of a newer version of Android and the upgrades to the hardware. But my old original has been flawless and I have heard of a few problems with the newer ones. So I think I will hold off besides I still have six months on the warranty on the one I have and every app I have installed on it has worked well.

Good luck again with your transfers. fdalbor

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links