Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch 4G LTE Wireless - 1st impressions

This is a discussion on Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch 4G LTE Wireless - 1st impressions within the Kindle Fire HD General Discussion forums, part of the Kindle Fire Device Specific Sections category; I received Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch 4G LTE Wireless on Tuesday November 21 and these are my impressions, so far. 1) The screen is ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By kim

Thread: Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch 4G LTE Wireless - 1st impressions

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch 4G LTE Wireless - 1st impressions

I received Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch 4G LTE Wireless on Tuesday November 21 and these are my impressions, so far.
    1) The screen is beautiful and itís faster than the original Fire.
    2) The E-mail App is great. It is huge improvement over the original.
    3) Most of my APPS worked great. I had 2 that didnít; Audubon Birds and TuneIn Radio. I received a $10 credit at the app store so I can get the TuneIn Radio Pro app but will have to wait for an upgrade for Audubon Birds. The Pulse APP works very nice on the new HD device.
    4) The Browser works about the same, sometimes itís slow and wonít load web pages without having to kill the page loading several times. Also web pages with dropdown menus donít work. I gave this issue to Amazon. Hopefully they will fix it in later software releases.
    5) I watched a HD Amazon Prime movie (The Expendables). The picture quality and Dolby sound was amazing.
    6) A curious thing is the Wireless Speed. On the device the speed is anywhere from 52-64Mbps. The router indicates the device is connected at 300M 802.1n. My laptop connects at 150Mbps. I donít see anything on the Kindle to improve the connection speed.
    7) I installed the Free My Data Manager APP to monitor the 4G connection with alarms to make sure I donít go over my 250MB monthly allowance.
    8) I subscribe to National Geographic magazine. I didnít like to read it on the original Fire but on the new HD it is beautiful. The pages are crisp clear and the photographs are fantastic and zooming works perfectly. This is what I was looking for when I subscribed.
    9) Lastly, I bought the case designed for the HD Kindle. Buy it, they designed it very well.
    Bolsa and boocat like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Re: Kindle Fire HD 8.9 inch 4G LTE Wireless - 1st impressions

The $50-some dollar case? I'm looking at cases right now. Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    yes, the $50 one for the HD only.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    >> 6) A curious thing is the Wireless Speed. On the device the speed is anywhere from 52-64Mbps. The router indicates the device is connected at 300M 802.1n. My laptop connects at 150Mbps. I don’t see anything on the Kindle to improve the connection speed.

your reply on #6 is bother me . On the amazon website they said that the Wifi is 53% faster than Google tablet, and 41% faster than Ipad 3. That fast wifi speed is one MAIN reason why I spend $500 on the tablet (fire HD 9" 4G). My Fire HD dont coming until next week.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    just got the KFHD 4G LTE on my door couple hours ago, here the scoops:

- Just download about 30 books from clouds, set up and check e-mail, with the mobile option (4G) turn on , it took 85MB out of 250MB allowance monthly That is really BAD, I had i-phone 3-G (with ATT) , I check e-mail daily, check traffics daily, check stock daily , and I never reach 100 MB monthly.
    - I have lot of books that I put in my KF (old) via Calibre, I saw those books on the KH-old cloud, but I do NOT see it on the KF HD 4G cloud. I try to touch the syns couple time , but same thing happened.
    - I connect the KF HD 4G to PC, the PC cannot see the KFHD4G they ask me to download "Window Media Player 11" before I can see the KFHD on the PC to transfer files.
    - The bad thing is the KFHD 4G cannot see the Calibre s/w , that means I cannot transfer a lot of books to KFHD. That really bad. - I did on XP, but when I used another PC with Window-7 , Calibre works OK
    - More to come latter.

IF YOU NEAR THE WIFI SOURCE , YOU HAVE TO TURN-OFF THE MOBILE DEVICE ON YOUR KFHD 4G BEFORE ALL OF YOUR 250MB DATA DRAIN OUT.
    Last edited by Bolsa; 11-29-2012 at 12:27 AM.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links