Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Kindle Fire Movie Filesize Limit

This is a discussion on Kindle Fire Movie Filesize Limit within the Amazon Kindle Fire Video forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Extras category; After playing with the Kindle Fire a bit, I've noticed that it does not like video files that are larger than 2GB. Standard DVD conversions ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dvdcatalyst

Thread: Kindle Fire Movie Filesize Limit

dvdcatalyst

Lightbulb Kindle Fire Movie Filesize Limit

After playing with the Kindle Fire a bit, I've noticed that it does not like video files that are larger than 2GB.

Standard DVD conversions work just fine, as well as HD-sized content (I tried up to 1080p), but if the files are larger than 2GB, the Kindle Fire will not play them.

A 720p Bluray rip I tried yesterday (The Fighter, 2.6GB) would not play at all, but when I tried the same video using my (free) MP4 Streaming Server app (working on a guide atm for it), it played just fine on the Kindle Fire.
    Hawaiian Princess likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Thank u for the tip. I'm still waiting for my KF

dvdcatalyst
    You are welcome, Princess,

I'm sure many people will run into this, or it would start a lot of complaints about the KF not being able to play HD video, so I figured I'd post it here.

But, if you stream it, the filesize doesn't matter though.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I don't plan on adding more than a few just to kill time when I travel. But yes streaming is unlimited file size...I wonder why ...lol

Member #
    Hi i dont know if this thread is too old for my question to be answered or not , first thing i am not a computer whizz and need some help , i live in South Africa and bought the KNDLE FIRE knowing i could not stream movies or apps , games etc from the AMAZON cloud , however i thought i should be able to download movies from my PC to the KINDLE FIRE , it works perfectly but each movie stops playing 2/3rds of the way through , is this the story with the 2GB files ???? , i found this site through tools for movies where they also talk about setting up your own cloud and they also sell a converter which i want to buy but i need to be sure that i know what i am doing first

dvdcatalyst
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kirby View Post
    Hi i dont know if this thread is too old for my question to be answered or not , first thing i am not a computer whizz and need some help , i live in South Africa and bought the KNDLE FIRE knowing i could not stream movies or apps , games etc from the AMAZON cloud , however i thought i should be able to download movies from my PC to the KINDLE FIRE , it works perfectly but each movie stops playing 2/3rds of the way through , is this the story with the 2GB files ???? , i found this site through tools for movies where they also talk about setting up your own cloud and they also sell a converter which i want to buy but i need to be sure that i know what i am doing first
    Hi Mike,

I just replied to your PM.

Since you mentioned the files do play fine on your PC, it seems very likely that you are running in the filesize limit.

Member #

Plan to get most out of my kindle fire

Quote Originally Posted by dvdcatalyst View Post
    Hi Mike,

I just replied to your PM.

Since you mentioned the files do play fine on your PC, it seems very likely that you are running in the filesize limit.
    Thank you very much this is really really appreciated , please can you tell me if you think my plan described below is the best way for me to go ?
    .Buy and install on my computer the MP4 movie convertor from DVDCATALYST
    .Install video streaming by creating my own cloud on my PC , as per the instructions i saw on i think it was the TOOLS4MOVIES web site.
    .create my own movie library on my PC for downloading to my KINDLE FIRE
    I do have another question
    .When you stream movies from your PC cloud to the KINDLE FIRE i guess you need to be connected via the USB cable , is that correct ?
    Also as you can see living outside of the USA i am trying to get the ultimate out of my KINDLE FIRE , which is an interesting persuit on its own , buying and reading books , magazines , surfing the web ,is 100% IF my plan for movies works then that is taken care of , what do you think is possible outside the USA for games and apps on the KINDLE FIRE ?
    Lets make no mistake in my opinion the KINDLE FIRE is a great device , i knew i would not be able to stream movies , tv etc from AMAZON prime but i am very happy with it . I have subscribed to the TOOLS4MOVIES website as i found it the best by far after 5 days of researching as many as i could , i think a good article might be "getting the most out of your KINDLE FIRE outside the USA" many people travel the world today , will want to take their KINDLE FIRE with them , maybe with their laptop and their own cloud it would increase the devices usefullness , once again thank you , MERRY CHRISTMAS AND ALL THE BEST FOR 2012

dvdcatalyst
    For the streaming part, you don't need to have the USB cable connected. if your Kindle Fire and your PC are connected to the same network, you can stream your movies over wifi.

As for apps and games from a non-US location, you can side-load APK files (there are guides for this on these forums). There are also tricks you can use to install the Android Market on the Kindle Fire.

Kindle Fire Tweaks & Workarounds

[HOW TO] Install the Android Market on Your Kindle Fire

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links