Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Amazon Kindle Fire to Come with Amazon Silk Cloud-Accelerated Web-Browser

This is a discussion on Amazon Kindle Fire to Come with Amazon Silk Cloud-Accelerated Web-Browser within the Amazon Kindle Fire News forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire & Site News category; It appears that Amazon is not content to just jump into the tablet market with just the tablet and its content, but is also including ...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Amazon Kindle Fire to Come with Amazon Silk Cloud-Accelerated Web-Browser

It appears that Amazon is not content to just jump into the tablet market with just the tablet and its content, but is also including its own custom Cloud-accelerated web-browser as well. Amazon's new web-browser that will come with the Kindle Fire, is called "Amazon Silk" and the name is meant to be evocative of an "invisible, yet incredibly strong connection", as well as describe the silky smooth way their browser supposedly surfs the web. Here's a quote from the Engadget article with a few more details,
    ...Amazon Silk -- a "split browser" exclusive to the tablet that gets the heavy lifting done on its EC2 cloud servers and promises faster access as a result. Dubbed Silk to represent an "invisible, yet incredibly strong connection", it takes advantage of Amazon's existing speedy connections, and that so many sites are already hosted on its servers to speed up web access. Another feature is its ability to learn from previous web surfers and use their data to determine how to render a page, and which sites to precache on the device before you even select the next link.
    Above is a video demo of "Silk." What do you guys think?

Source: Engadget

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wkc125 View Post
    From the limited info, Sounds like a terrible product, the silk browser.

why on earth would anyone want to got through amazon to access the internet?
    Sounds like amazon wants to data mine the heck out of you.
    Almost like Palm's PQA browser back 1999/2000.
    Where your data request must go through palm's server.
    Given a choice of unfether acces to the net, I see this as a negative.

There are existing model that work just this way and is successful, people accept it without understand what it really means. Time will tell if it will succeed or not.

I am sure there will be a after market to bypass the silk cloud, for direct unfether net access.
    AH..but this thing IS BUILT expressly FOR Amazon services...they want you in their new ecosystem, ala Apple, and this is the perfect vehicle for that!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    The difference for me being, I actually like and use Amazon's services and content.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I know that other browsers will work, so if you don't like going thru Amazon you won't have to. I for one will try it out to see how fast web browsing will be compared to my thrive!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Im wondering if there will be a way to put a different browser on it

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I don't know about android but for iOS opera mini was a big success, and those jailbroken could download a tweak, the name escapes me, that changed the default browser to opera, allowing you to almost for safari existed.

I can imagine such a thing for android at some point.
    The only true Daniel on this forum, accept no imitations.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links