Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Amazon Denies it is Working on a Smartphone At All

This is a discussion on Amazon Denies it is Working on a Smartphone At All within the Amazon Kindle Fire News forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire & Site News category; At the end of last week a new rumor hit the web regarding Amazon's supposed Android smartphone. The rumor suggested that not only was Amazon ...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Amazon Denies it is Working on a Smartphone At All

At the end of last week a new rumor hit the web regarding Amazon's supposed Android smartphone. The rumor suggested that not only was Amazon working on an Android smartphone, they were planning on offering it for FREE. Although we have previously reported rumors regarding a smartphone from Amazon, we didn't place much credence in this one and didn't report it because a FREE smartphone seems dubious at best. We wanted to find additional intel to back up this first report.

As it turns out we were right to be cautious. Not only is Amazon NOT working on a FREE smartphone, they came forward yesterday categorically denying they plan to bring out a smartphone at all this year. They also made it clear that even if they were working on a smartphone, they wouldn't offer it for free. Here's a quote with a statement from them,

“We have no plans to offer a phone this year,” said the spokesman in an email on Sunday. “If we were to launch a phone in the future, it would not be free.”
    This is actually the first time Amazon has even responded to reports they are working on a smartphone. While it is obviously sad news for some folks that Amazon isn't working on a smartphone for this year (let a lone a free one), their statement does leave a small window open. They didn't deny they were working on a phone, just that it would not be coming this year. We will continue to keep an eye on this and report anything we find, but in the mean-time, don't hold out hope we will see an Amazon smartphone anytime this year.

Source: WSJ

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I think Amazon has missed the boat on marketing a smartphone. The market is already over flowing with phones. I have two Fires and was considering a Amazon smart phone; but after careful thought went ahead and got a Nokia 820. Amazon would have gone with Android for their phone and while I have two Android tablets My main computer is a HP All in one touch screen with Win 8. All four work great with one another. Samsung is so dominating Android in the smartphone market, it will be very hard for anyone to get much market share. I really don't think there will ever be a Amazon smartphone; and probably thats for the better.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links