Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Updates Roll Out OTA for Amazon Kindle Fire (2nd-gen), and Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"

This is a discussion on Updates Roll Out OTA for Amazon Kindle Fire (2nd-gen), and Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9" within the Amazon Kindle Fire News forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire & Site News category; Folks who own the newer versions of Amazon Kindle Fire products will be happy to know that some software updates have started pushing out OTA. ...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Updates Roll Out OTA for Amazon Kindle Fire (2nd-gen), and Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"

Folks who own the newer versions of Amazon Kindle Fire products will be happy to know that some software updates have started pushing out OTA. The 2nd Generation Kindle Fire and the Kindle Fire HD 7-inch & 8.9-inch devices are all getting the updates. Here's a quote with more of the details,

For each device, the update provides enhancements for viewing textbooks, with the 2nd generation Fire and the Fire HD 7" getting "X-Ray for Textbooks". This feature allows users to access the most important terms and concepts, with glossary definitions and links to relevant pages within books.

The update also provides enhancements for print replica textbooks across each device. Thumbnails of each page are now available at the bottom of the screen, and you can make notes and highlights in your books, as well as jump from one chapter to another.

Other improvements include "Time To Read", which calculates how much longer you have left until completing a book based on your reading speed, and each device can now read books with audio and video clips, too.

The update will be downloaded to devices automatically, but if you want to force the update to happen more quickly, you can initiate it from your Kindle and get it straight away.
    These are great new features that Amazon added to their product lineup. It's great to see the company continuing to support their device by making it do new and useful things. Sound off if you have received this update and tell us what you think of it.

Source: AndroidPolice

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Don,t know if this had anything to do with the updates you listed. I got my update for my HD 7" last night, but about four days ago I got a update for my Gen 1 kindle fire, moving it from ver 6.3.1 to 6.3.2. Nice to see Amazon has not forgotten the original kindle. Though I don't know what the update did. fdalbor
    Last edited by fdalbor; 03-29-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Member #

Ignoring original, 1st. generation Kindle Fire.

If Amazon is SO amazing because they are supporting the 2nd generation Kindle Fire and the Kindle Fire HD...why not be MORE amazing and support the buyers of Kindle Fire generation 1 with some upgrades??? Or, is it Amazon's goal to have us chuck our less-than-one-year-old $199 item and buy one of the newer models. But, before I do that, when is the next generation Kindle Fire coming out to make all previous versions obsolete??? If I sound cynical it is because I am!!!

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    There was a update to the origninal Fire not too long ago. Its version 6.3.2. It was the third update I had on my original. Don't know everything it did; but I know my original fire preforms faster and the volumn is much louder than it used to be. Boot up times are lower also. I can understand your concern though as I have them also. I did however buy the newer 7"HD (32gig model) and for the time being will stick with Amazon.
    Don't know how much they can do with the original as it was based on Gingerbread (still the most dominant as far as numbers of units go) and the newer ones are based on Ice Cream Sand. Most apps support; even new ones, Gingerbread but I am sure its only a matter of time the new features in later versions of Android start to leave out the older versions. fdalbor

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links