Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Amazon Officially Announces New Tablets; 8.9" Kindle Fire HD & More

This is a discussion on Amazon Officially Announces New Tablets; 8.9" Kindle Fire HD & More within the Amazon Kindle Fire News forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire & Site News category; Originally Posted by Skydog The specs on Amazon's site list a 1.5 Ghz dual core. What a disappointment. I've been spoiled with my Nexus 7. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    The specs on Amazon's site list a 1.5 Ghz dual core. What a disappointment. I've been spoiled with my Nexus 7.
    That's weird. The press release said ti OMAP 4470 which, even if dual core, is listed at 1.8ghz

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    The dual-core processor is disappointing. The enhanced Wi-Fi sounds intriguing if it lives up to the hype.

I see Bluetooth mentioned but only in regards to audio (A2DP) for speakers and headphones. I guess that means still no support for an external keyboard or mouse.

What version of Android is it using? Does it still use the bookcase interface? Still no access to Google Play I suppose.

I'm not seeing this as a Nexus 7 killer although it sounds like a nice tablet.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    This was on the Amazonwebsite
    "A rich HD display requires a powerful processor to drive it. The TI OMAP4470 processor in the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" has 40% more memory bandwidth than Tegra 3, enabling faster web browser JavaScript performance. And Kindle Fire HD 8.9" has an Imagination SGX544 3D graphics core that can process over 12 billion floating-point operations per second, so even graphically intensive games run smoothly and render stunning scenery. We also tuned the graphics pipeline and touch handling software to eliminate delays between when you touch the screen and when the application responds. This means the home screen scrolls more smoothly, videos start playing faster, and games respond nearly instantaneousl"

Strollin,Another forum is reporting it running with an "enhanced version" of ICS.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    The dual-core processor is disappointing. The enhanced Wi-Fi sounds intriguing if it lives up to the hype.

I see Bluetooth mentioned but only in regards to audio (A2DP) for speakers and headphones. I guess that means still no support for an external keyboard or mouse.

What version of Android is it using? Does it still use the bookcase interface? Still no access to Google Play I suppose.

I'm not seeing this as a Nexus 7 killer although it sounds like a nice tablet.
    I wonder how many people realize that all the new Fire tablets are ad-subsidized, or more specifically, "special offers and sponsored screensavers"? Something Amazon neglected to mention at the press event. Although the ad-supported e-ink Kindles have been popular with some, I find unsolicited ads on a (more expensive) tablet objectionable. This alone dampens my interest. Also, both sizes still look a bit thick to me. The 7" and 8.9" weigh in at 14.6 oz. and 20 oz., respectively, compared to the svelte and lightweight Nexus 7 at 12 oz. ICS running under the hood is a good thing but, really, it is a minimum requirement at this stage.
    Last edited by Skydog; 09-06-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    I wonder how many people realize that all the new Fire tablets are ad-subsidized, or more specifically, "special offers and sponsored screensavers"? Something Amazon neglected to mention at the press event. Although the ad-supported e-ink Kindles have been popular with some, I find unsolicited ads on a (more expensive) tablet objectionable. This alone dampens my interest. Also, both sizes still look a bit thick to me. The 7" and 8.9" weigh in at 14.6 oz. and 20 oz., respectively, compared to the svelte and lightweight Nexus 7 at 12 oz. ICS running under the hood is a good thing but, really, it is a minimum requirement at this stage.
    I noticed the new 7" is going to be taller than this one. I'm surprised they didn't shave more weight as well.
    Time will tell how easy it will be to lose the ads but my Fire1 was Amazoned on the homescreen for under an hour,the time it took to get and install Go. The next day even the Amazon wallpaper was covered up by Rotating Wallpaper. With ICS I'd be looking at Nova instead of Go.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    I Fire my posts with Blue Tapatalk 2

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikermark View Post
    I noticed the new 7" is going to be taller than this one. I'm surprised they didn't shave more weight as well.
    Time will tell how easy it will be to lose the ads but my Fire1 was Amazoned on the homescreen for under an hour,the time it took to get and install Go. The next day even the Amazon wallpaper was covered up by Rotating Wallpaper. With ICS I'd be looking at Nova instead of Go.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    I Fire my posts with Blue Tapatalk 2
    Hopefully, XDA will come to the rescue quickly. Still, that should not be necessary and I've already read complaints online from those who are just now discovering the inability to "opt-out."

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I had heard that there was a possibility that they would release some products with the "special offers" ads but don't see any mention of it in the stuff I read today. [Just went back and read the Amazon page for the Kindle Fire HD and it is stated that it "Includes special offers and sponsored screensavers."] When they did that with the Kindle reader, you had the option of buying with "special offers" or without. The one with the "special offers" was something like $50 less expensive. Since the $199 7" KF HD is ad-subsidized then I think it's priced too high compared to a Nexus 7 which isn't ad-subsidized. I also don't like the fact that I don't have a choice in it.
    Last edited by strollin; 09-07-2012 at 01:08 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    I had heard that there was a possibility that they would release some products with the "special offers" ads but don't see any mention of it in the stuff I read today. [Just went back and read the Amazon page for the Kindle Fire HD and it is stated that it "Includes special offers and sponsored screensavers."] When they did that with the Kindle reader, you had the option of buying with "special offers" or without. The one with the "special offers" was something like $50 less expensive. Since the $199 7" KF HD is ad-subsidized then I think it's priced too high compared to a Nexus 7 which isn't ad-subsidized. I also don't like the fact that I don't have a choice in it.
    Yes, that is the reason I object to it. There were options with the e-ink Kindles and Amazon was upfront about it from the time the Kindles were announced. In this case, the customer is given no option which is unacceptable, particularly with devices in this price range. I bet there will be a lot of people who do not notice this in the description.
    Last edited by Skydog; 09-07-2012 at 02:03 AM.

Member #
    And only $49.99/yr for the 250MB/Mo. That's a deal!
    Unfortunately, its $49.99 only for the FIRST year. Who knows what the fees will be for renewal? The extra $200 may be pretty steep if the fees are the same as every other 4G tablet.

$299 for the Wi-Fi version has me intrigued.

As someone else mentioned, being ad-sponsored is a total turn-off...

Tom

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    What about overage fees? What happens if you use more than the allotted 250M in a month? 250M is not a lot of data.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links