Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

weak wifi signal more than 20 feet from router

This is a discussion on weak wifi signal more than 20 feet from router within the Amazon Kindle Fire Help forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Can this be solved by getting a wifi booster or a stronger wifi extender and plugging it in to the existing router? Thanks....

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jsh1120
  • 1 Post By mountainbikermark

Thread: weak wifi signal more than 20 feet from router

Member #

weak wifi signal more than 20 feet from router

Can this be solved by getting a wifi booster or a stronger wifi extender and plugging it in to the existing router? Thanks.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by prism72 View Post
    Can this be solved by getting a wifi booster or a stronger wifi extender and plugging it in to the existing router? Thanks.
    My kindles the same, laptops I can carry across to neighbors house 200 ft away and still strong signal. If I take kf to bedroom 25 ft away get weaker signal bars.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    When I had my Fire, I too noticed this...still, the device worked fine, and performed as expected regardless. I grew to just ignore the reported signal strength. If you are suffering performance issues, short of getting a more powerful router, try placing your router more near the center of your home, unobstructed, if possible, and the higher the placement, the better.

edit: oh..forgot to mention, I was streaming Netflix just fine on 1 little bar, on the far side of the house.
    Last edited by alphawave7; 02-07-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    When I had my Fire, I too noticed this...still, the device worked fine, and performed as expected regardless. I grew to just ignore the reported signal strength. If you are suffering performance issues, short of getting a more powerful router, try placing your router more near the center of your home, unobstructed, if possible, and the higher the placement, the better.

edit: oh..forgot to mention, I was streaming Netflix just fine on 1 little bar, on the far side of the house.

I don't seem to see any lack of performance or speed just less bars.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    It's common for people to worry about the "signal strength" of their devices. And it's just as common for the signal strength to make no difference, whatsoever, in performance. The relationship between signal strength and performance is not straightforward. Signal strength is not a "speedometer." It is simply a measure of a signal's "volume." If that volume is low, the signal is more subject to interference, analogous to trying to hear someone whispering in a noisy bar. That in turn means that the device may miss packets of data and have to request that they be re-sent. (i.e. "What did you say?) That, in turn can affect performance, especially for tasks like streaming audio or video, when the buffer uses up the content already downloaded and must repeatedly wait for new data to be sent and re-sent.

For the most part, where content is relatively static and its consumption (i.e. your reading) is much, much slower than even most interrupted data stream that low signal strength can deliver, you'll never notice the difference because you'll never use up the "buffer" of previously downloaded content. i.e. Your device can say "Say that again" many many times while you're reading a single sentence.

The KF doesn't have the greatest radio in the world (i.e. similar to being slightly hard of hearing) but unless ambient "noise" (interference) is so "loud" that the KF is constantly saying, "Say that again" to the signal source, you'll be ok.
    Last edited by jsh1120; 02-08-2012 at 10:36 AM.
    greystone likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Cellular bars can be deceiving as well. 4 bars can be a weak signal with lots of noise that shows up as show speeds, lots of dropped connections, dungeon sounding phone calls that drop, etc whereas 1 or 0 bars on cdma can sound and act like being close to a cell with little traffic.
    Someone once said "the number of bars should only matter to alcoholics"

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post
    greystone likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links