Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Unable To Open Books--Screen Goes Dark

This is a discussion on Unable To Open Books--Screen Goes Dark within the Amazon Kindle Fire Help forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I have a Fire HD 8 (7th Gen) and it's been working fine until today. All apps seem to be working fine, but when I ...

Member #

Unable To Open Books--Screen Goes Dark

I have a Fire HD 8 (7th Gen) and it's been working fine until today. All apps seem to be working fine, but when I click on "See all downloaded books" in my library, the screen goes black. Same thing with trying to open a book, either the one I'm currently reading or a new book. After restarting several times, it would show the 'new books' (though not all of the downloaded books) and if I clicked on one of them, the book cover would come up but stay frozen until it faded to black. I still have 4.88GB left of the 12.35GB so I don't think it is a storage problem. Very disconcerting. I don't want to have set it up all over again by resetting it to the factory default if I don't have to. Help?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Well it's sounds like an app problem?, Try installing ES, file manager, use that to locate the book and try opening it with that, that should then narrow down the field a bit of it does so successfully

Member #
    Opened ES and in the Books folder there were only 17 books listed. In the Storage part of Settings it showed me having a bit over 2,000 and in my computer Kindle Manager that is consistent. But clicking on one of the books in ES, it comes up with the same black screen and no book. In addition, in the 5 minutes since I turned it on again, the battery has now dropped about 10% and THAT's never happened before. I've tried syncing and the sync circle spins a few seconds and then stops indicating that it has synced. Sigh.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Ok what we are trying to do is basic problem solving, that is to half the possible reasons for the problem, so either the books are there, in your storage, in which case it's a sort ware ( probably app) problem or they arnt, in which case nothing will oppe n them. They may be stored in a location other than books

When you are on the home screen of ES, files explorer, it's gives that you have two thousand books stored, then that is probably true, click on the box that tells you you have two thousand books and that should open and list the two thousand books,

Highlight any one of them with the green arrow, and hit the bin/delete icons, a screen will pop up saying " are you sure" and that screen will also tell you the file size, if it's there and it has a a size then we know the book is stored on the kindle, we don't know where it's stored, just that it is, then cancel the delete action

Alternatively, hit the analyse storage, button, then sd0 , and it will list all the folders and their size, look for a folders that large enough to contain two thousand books, and that where they are( probably)
    Last edited by jobo; 05-27-2018 at 07:03 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I've seen a post elsewhere that suggests this is a bit uncommon problem with the kindle app,

Member #
    Well, I could open only 1 of the 17 books that were in the ES Documents file and it was the only one there that I had already read. None of the other folders had more than a few KB in them that I could access and it wouldn't show me any hidden files, but the folders were nearly empty. In my internal storage it now says I have 1,264 items (2.52GB) in the Books folder. I archived some of the books that I had already read. Still can't open any. Should I do a factory default reset? If so, then do I have to re-register the device and download the books from the cloud again? Should I get rid of or replace the ES app? I'm still stuck with what I should do. The device has 1 year left on the 2-year extended warranty but how do I get service on it? Maybe I'm just too old (71) to be figuring out this stuff. Sigh.

STOP THE PRESSES!!! The book I was reading when it all went dark has just come back from its stygian limbo-purgatory. I don't know why and I don't know how long it will stay in the "light" but I'm grateful it has crossed over from the Dark side. Thanks for putting up with my technoignorance and your kind suggestions.
    Last edited by Michael95; 05-28-2018 at 07:22 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm glad, as above, this seems a common issue at the moment, maybe they have updated the app, to sort it out.

They don't serviice or otherwise repair kindles, they just replace them, certainly under warrantee , you shouldnt need to be messing about, a call to them will get you another device or at least a hard fix

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links