Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Trouble opening a book - sometimes

This is a discussion on Trouble opening a book - sometimes within the Amazon Kindle Fire Help forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; If you open the book shelf instead of the carousel and make sure you are reading the book from the device instead of the cloud ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Trouble opening a book - sometimes

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    If you open the book shelf instead of the carousel and make sure you are reading the book from the device instead of the cloud it should place the device copy on the carousel instead of the cloud copy...is it not doing this? I do agree it might be nice if the software would give some indication on the file icon of the storage location for the various media you might be using...books, documents and music especially.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hartshwk...
    Thanks for reply... It actually tries to download or sync before I have a chance to select bookshelf. I definitely have device selected once I get into the bookshelf. For some reason the software is basically telling it to sync the first book in the carousel as soon as you turn it on and swipe the start page. Weird... Definitely a glitch. Once it tries to download and fails ... There is no way to move forward with this book without connecting to wifi. Just an annoying quirk .... Only a deal breaker when traveling.
    flathat likes this.

Member #
    First I want to THANK everyone for their helpful input.

I did contact Kindle support by phone and explained the problem we were having, trying to read a book that had been bought and downloaded from Amazon. When the book would open everything was fine. But sometimes when turning the Kindle back on, the book icon would have a small red circle with an explanation point imposed on the cover. When this happened, and it was all too often, the book would not open, a note would pop up and request a wifi connection. As soon as it had a wifi connection the red circle disappeared and the book would open to the place we were last reading. I did verify that the Kindle was set to “Device” and not to the “Cloud”

Kindle support said they had not come across this type of problem and had no idea what would cause it to happen. Their only suggestion was to try a hard reset by holding the power button for twenty seconds until the unit shut off, which would clear the memory. It didn’t help we still had the problem.

At this time we had only had the unit for 10 days and this problem happened at least 12 times. Since we had bought the Kindle Fire from Office Max and we had a 14 day window to return the unit, that is what we decided to do. We took it back and made an exchange for a new unit. After registering the new unit we went to the cloud and downloaded the same books we had on the old one. We have only had the replacement for three days but so far there has been absolutely no problems with this unit. (Knock on wood!)

I know this way of resolving the problem isn’t much help to others that may have the same type of problem, but I didn’t feel I should keep a defective unit if I didn’t have to. It looks to me like this might be a hardware problem (memory)? It seems to me a software problem would affect most if not all the units out there. If we have any more problems with this unit I will let you know.

I do appreciate all of the help from the other members of this forum. Everyone that responded were considerate and friendly and I think that is what will make this a great forum for all of the users.

Bob

Member #
    Thank you for this thread! I am having the very same problem with my Kindle. I have sent an email to the KCS as stated in one of these entries. Thanks for the help! Hopefully I will get this resolved.

Member #
    I too am having this same problem. I have also contacted Amazon Kindle support and they told me it might be a few days to track down the problem, like my report is the first time they've heard about it. I wonder why this problem seems to be so new to everyone I talk to about it. In this tread alone I see at least five or six Fire users with the identical problem.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Don't know if it'll help or not but try going to settings, applications, all applications (tap running applications and the option to change pops up) , scroll down to Amazon Kindle, tap it, clear cache. Also same first 3 steps but scroll down to "DRM Protected Content Storage", tap it, clear data.
    Hope it helps. I haven't had the described problem so I don't speak from personal experience that it works.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Sent from this Galaxy with Blue Tapatalk and a ZaggFolio

Member #

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikermark View Post
    Don't know if it'll help or not but try going to settings, applications, all applications (tap running applications and the option to change pops up) , scroll down to Amazon Kindle, tap it, clear cache. Also same first 3 steps but scroll down to "DRM Protected Content Storage", tap it, clear data.
    Hope it helps. I haven't had the described problem so I don't speak from personal experience that it works.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Sent from this Galaxy with Blue Tapatalk and a ZaggFolio
    I was having this same issue! I followed you steps above and the problem was resolved.
    ~Paula

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links