Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

KFire connected to home wireless network but cannot connect to Internet

This is a discussion on KFire connected to home wireless network but cannot connect to Internet within the Amazon Kindle Fire Help forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Our laptops connect without issue to the web. But Kindle Fire won't. I got working at first (right after Xmas), but now won't connect. I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cicsos2
  • 2 Post By Mwritter

Thread: KFire connected to home wireless network but cannot connect to Internet

Member #

KFire connected to home wireless network but cannot connect to Internet

Our laptops connect without issue to the web. But Kindle Fire won't. I got working at first (right after Xmas), but now won't connect. I can't recall anything changing in our environment. I have:

- verified password is correct
    - reset up our router (hard reset) - it's a d-link router, but not sure that should matter.
    - rebooted laptops to free up IP address (using dynamic, not static on router)
    - unplugged modem and router (separately, and together)
    - have applied the 6.2.1 update

All of these things have not helped connect to the web (still get the 'little x' by the wireless icon in upper right-hand corner of Fire). Frustrating.

Out of ideas. any good tricks out there? Very frustrating, as haven't been able to use the Fire in two weeks now.

kim
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I had a similar issue with my kindle reader. Try this change your wireless router channel to 6. Then try to connect. If that doesn't work try taking your Fire to someplace that has free Wl-fi. If it doesn't connect there call Amazone for a replacement.

kim
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I forgot one thing. Do a reset of your Fire - with Kindle on press and hold the power button for 25 seconds. Then power it up again. Good luck.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Were u able to resolve ur issue? @Kim, thanks for assisting

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jmesselt View Post
    Our laptops connect without issue to the web. But Kindle Fire won't. I got working at first (right after Xmas), but now won't connect. I can't recall anything changing in our environment. I have:

- verified password is correct
    - reset up our router (hard reset) - it's a d-link router, but not sure that should matter.
    - rebooted laptops to free up IP address (using dynamic, not static on router)
    - unplugged modem and router (separately, and together)
    - have applied the 6.2.1 update

All of these things have not helped connect to the web (still get the 'little x' by the wireless icon in upper right-hand corner of Fire). Frustrating.

Out of ideas. any good tricks out there? Very frustrating, as haven't been able to use the Fire in two weeks now.
    Just to verify, your Fire sees the network just won't connect? Have you tried forgetting the network in the Fire then putting it back in? Have you tried changing your security on your router? For some reason my Incredible phone decided after a few weeks it didn't like wpa/wep/mix on my router and I had to change it to wpa only. Been working like a charm over a year since I did that.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jmesselt View Post

The little 'x' by the wireless icon says that you have connected to the wireless router - BUT - you are not getting an internet connection (that is what I believe it means). Since the majority of discussions concerning wifi connectivity on the various forums are concerned with a failure to connect to the wireless router, lets do some checking with your KF.

1. When you turn the Wireless networking ON and the list of available networks is shown, is your network shown as Connected? - Or are you getting some type of error message?

Use the gear icon and go to Settings for the following:
    2. Selection Restrictions and make sure it is set to OFF (this is a 6.2.1 addition and if on, then wifi is blocked)
    3. Select Device -> write down the Wi-Fi MAC Address its a set of 5 pairs of letters and numbers. You may want to verify that your wireless router does not have a filter for MAC addresses turned on - if it does, then you would want to add the KF's mac address.

There are a couple of apps that would be helpful to tracking down your problem - since you can't connect at home you would need to go to a public place (Starbucks, McDonalds, local library, etc).
    A) "Wifi Analyzer" - shows a graph of all active networks within range and their strengths and most important - the channel they are using. For example, I can see 4 networks right now, two are on channel 1, 1 is on channel 11 and I'm on channel 6 - so I have no interference from these other folks.
    Question: Have you tried changing your wireless router to use another channel?
    B) "Quick System Info" - Highly recommended - it shows four types of information - the one we need now is the Net States - it shows what applications are running with network connections and their TCP/IP addresses. For example, right now the first on the list is the Amazon Kindle and its address is 192.168.1.3:38918 - the last 4 digits is a port number and if of no consequence to us. The 192.168.1 part of the address is a typical address of something connected to a router. You might have a 192.168.0 or 192.168.2 - all are valid. Every machine connected to your router will have the same three numbers - this is your "subnet" - anyone attempting to connect with a different subnet would not get very far.
    The other part of the information fall into the "Basic Info" section. In there is a Network tab - it provides similar information and the Windows command "sysinfo /all" - I can see items such as: My SSID (by the way, the KF does not appear to like SSIDs that have multiple words); my MAC address, Link speed, signal strength, DHCP Server (super important - this is who gives me my TCP address info); and so on. I can even find out what my Public address is and where the location of that router (i.e. it is located at my ISP).

It maybe time to login to your wireless router from your PC. I used to have a D-Link but when I switched ISP providers, I was given a different brand with a different interface so I can't give specific guidance. However, when you get into the router interface on your browser, take a look at the Wireless Settings. Make notes on the channel, type of security, etc. You may have the ability to show what wireless devices are currently connected - my KF shows up as an Android (with a string of letters and numbers). If I remember correctly, the D-Link allows you to define how many of the 256 addresses (thats the 4th number) are used for fixed (static) addresses and how many are dynamic - may sure that you have not run out of the dynamic addresses.
    I'm not sure if your D-Link provides for Dual Band service - if it does, the KF ONLY supports a 54mbs connection.

-----------
    Well, I've rambled on too long - maybe there will be something there to help.
    alphawave7 likes this.
    Cheers, Bill (aka cicsos2)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Very well done.
    Thank You

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, the op has not come back yet.

Cheers
    Bill (cicsos2)
    Cheers, Bill (aka cicsos2)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Wink kfire gets on wifi but doesnt conect to internet

I solved my problem with Fing (Great network debug app) It showed the fire and another Android device had the same IP address. Seems that the android OS doesn't like to give up its IP addresses easily. Rebooting the other device solved my problem.

Ads