Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cannot find my books...

This is a discussion on Cannot find my books... within the Amazon Kindle Fire Help forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I just got my Kindle & I transferred my books from my original Kindle to my Kindle Fire...over USB cable... But now I cannot for ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Cannot find my books...

I just got my Kindle & I transferred my books from my original Kindle to my Kindle Fire...over USB cable...

But now I cannot for the life of me, find my books!!!

I also transferred an mp3 & mp4 over USB & found those...

All the covers for my books show up in the gallery along with the video...but no books to be found...

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

DB

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Where did you get your USB cable. I just bought the USB cable from Ebay , and my PC dont even regconize the KF device .

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dreambig View Post
    I just got my Kindle & I transferred my books from my original Kindle to my Kindle Fire...over USB cable...

But now I cannot for the life of me, find my books!!!

I also transferred an mp3 & mp4 over USB & found those...

All the covers for my books show up in the gallery along with the video...but no books to be found...

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

DB
    A little more information would be helpful. First, are the books you side-loaded books that were purchased and delivered to your original Kindle or are they .mobi books that you have side-loaded?

If they are Amazon-purchased books they must be downloaded from your archive. If they are books acquired elsewhere that you have converted, they will display on your bookshelf if they have been transfered to the /documents/ folder.

Member #
    @Bolsa My USB cable is the one that came with my original Kinddle...it connects to the computer just fine.

@Skydog They are sideloaded .mobi books.

Thanks for trying to help...I appreciate any help I can get.

DB

Member #
    Wait!!! I put them in the books folder~!! I will move them to the documents folder & re-try...(guess I should have read your FULL post)

Thanks!

DB

Member #
    @Skydog Do I need to restart to be able to see the books? And should they be under the Docs tab?

Thanks,

DB

Member #
    Still nothing...thanks for trying...I'll keep racking my brain.

DB

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dreambig View Post
    @Skydog Do I need to restart to be able to see the books? And should they be under the Docs tab?

Thanks,

DB
    It depends on how you are sending your mobi books to your Fire. If you are sending them via Calibre they should appear immediately on your bookshelf when you disconnect your Fire. I found that if books are side-loaded manually, via wifi or cable, a power off, then on is required to "refresh" the bookshelf.

Regardless of transfer method, side-loaded books (in the documents folder) should appear on the bookshelf if converted normally in Calibre but I have no way of knowing if this applies since you have not mentioned how you convert your books.

Amazon treats anything not purchased through Amazon as a personal "document" which is why they must reside in the documents folder. I've done nothing special in order for my .mobi books to display normally.
    Last edited by Skydog; 01-11-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Member #
    @Skydog The books came to me in the .mobi format. They all worked fine on the Kindle Keyboard that I also own. I've tried both "books" & "documents" folder, still nothing shows up. I sent an email directly to Amazon...they sent me confusing directions telling me to restart the Kindle...I googled & found out restarting is done by holding the power button down for around 20 seconds...that also did nothing to help...

Do you think if I just run the .mobi files I have through Calibre, & then sideload them again...maybe that will work?

The KF is great otherwise...I can do everything BUT read my books...

Thanks,

DB

Member #
    @Skydog Converting & Re-converting all my books using Calibre, & then using Calibre to move the books to my KF worked like a charm! And the books go to the Docs folder on the device but show up under the books tab, which is awesome!

Thanks for the help & consider this case closed!

DB

Ads