Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

my internet connection keeps dropping

This is a discussion on my internet connection keeps dropping within the Amazon Kindle Fire Help forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; My Kindle is only 3 weeks old. Its been working great until today. Twice today while browsing the Internet I started getting website cannot be ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: my internet connection keeps dropping

Member #

Thumbs up my internet connection keeps dropping

My Kindle is only 3 weeks old. Its been working great until today. Twice today while browsing the Internet I started getting website cannot be found or is busy errors on every site I tried. I thought it was my Internet but my iPhone was still working fine. I turned my Kindle off completely and then back on and it went back to working for a couple of hours and then it started doing the samething again.

Having to restart it is a pain. Can it be fixed??

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    What is the source of your wifi connection? Is it your own equipment or are you on a building or community wifi system. If it is a building or community wifi system it may be excessive trafic beyond your control. Even if it is your own wifi router the problem could still be with your ISP. I wouldn't blame the Fire until it seems to have the problem for several days...and different times of the day.

Member #
    It's my own equipment and when pages stop loading on my Fire then I try the same page on my iPhine and it loads right up. We have 2 iPhones, 1 galaxy player, an xbox, a Wwii and 2 laptops. All of them work off my Wi-Fi and none of them ever drop the connection. The Fire is the only thing that won't stay connected. According to the discussions at Amazon, this is a common issue but no real fixes were posted.

Member #
    I had this same problem. I was able to browse the web, but after a while I'd lose connection. Turning off and on the Internet restored connectivity for awhile, but I would eventually lose it again. Found somewhere on the Amazon discussion board to turn off my router's Wireless-N capability, so I tried it and it has been working perfectly for a while now. If you have an N router I would suggest trying it. You can find it in wireless settings. The setting you're looking for will either be something like "b/g/n" or, as in my Netgear's case, "up to 300 mbps." For the first, just change it to "b/g," the second to "up to 54 mbps."

I have heard, in the past as well as in this discussion, that having any devices lower than N on an N network will result in slower than N connection speeds for all devices because it's different tech and the lower connection drags everything else down with it. So you might want to try this out even if you have reservations about affecting the speed of your network. Mine seems to not have taken any hit.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    More times than not, just turning your router off for about 2 minutes then back on again will clear up the problem, especially if there are several devices used regularly on the router. If mother nature or a drunk hitting a power line pole doesn't cause a power interruption every couple of months, I reboot my router manually just to give it a fresh start.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Sent from this Galaxy via Blue Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Mark (above) and Deadman (also above) both provide good information. Resetting a router (and the associated modem if they are separate devices) frequently clear problems such as those the OP is experiencing. And it is also true that some routers' implementations of the latest "N" protocol are problematic when both "b/g only" and "n" capable devices are on the same network. Sometimes one can find troubleshooting information via the router manufacturer, either on their website or by contacting support.

Still another avenue that is often overlooked is contacting your ISP. Since you pay them every month they have an ongoing incentive to be sure you can connect devices to the internet. And since they are the "pipe" through which many different configurations access the internet they often have a better idea of what is problematic than either the device manufacturer (in this case Amazon) or the router manufacturer.

BTW, I realize it seems logical that if you add a new device to an existing network that successfully supports other devices (e.g. iPhone), the problems you experience must be in the new device. But that's not how it works. Older devices may work fine but the problem still lies either in the wifi router or the isp connection.
    Last edited by jsh1120; 02-27-2012 at 06:58 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I am having the same problem. I got my fire in late December and it has worked perfectly with my Netgear wireless router until about 3 days ago when it all of a sudden started dropping the internet connection every couple of minutes. It is hard for me to believe that it is my internet. I have many other devices that use it (laptop, dish network, roku, wireless printer) and none of those have had any issues. Any suggestions?? And keep in mind that I am NOT tech savy.
    deriver3292 likes this.

Member #
    I keep loosing a connection to my router also. My other devices all work fine. Read a post above about limiting to g only but if the Fire is N capable why would you want to do that. does the wireless disconnect automatically if you are not using it??? Is there a setting? Not liking the Fire so far when it comes to internet which is why we bought it !!!

Member #
    Sounds like a familiar issue. My KF is doing the exact same thing. While watching three laptops, and the KF working on my home network (wireless networking) the only one dropping off network is the KF, and it drops frequently. Therefore, it must be something with the Kindle Fire, don't you think?

My KF is at the most, one monthly payment old. If I had purchased this from one of the TV Shopping Networks it would have already gone back. I don't think Office Depot is that generous. Now, having said this, I see so many Android Tablets hitting the market and the price keeps going up with the same continued issues such as one will allow this while not allowing another that a competitor will allow. Root this and don't root that BS; it should work right out of the box! My daughter told me so; "Dad, considering how many Android Tablets you bought, you should have purchased the Ipad2." It was all about the flash player but now I don't think it would make that much difference. Just venting.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    real,

Try turning off at least two of the laptops and see how it goes. If you don't experience the problem, add a laptop, then another. The only time I've had any wifi problems with the KF was during a power outage when I was running a laptop, an iPad, and the KF from a mobile hotspot portable modem/router. Discovered that the order in which I added them to the network influenced the performance.

Ads