Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Some books "load" (are readable), some don't... ???

This is a discussion on Some books "load" (are readable), some don't... ??? within the Amazon Kindle Fire Help forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Hi! I am very happy to have found you guys! I did a search of the forum, google, and the online Fire manual, and couldn't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

Question Some books "load" (are readable), some don't... ???

Hi! I am very happy to have found you guys! I did a search of the forum, google, and the online Fire manual, and couldn't find this question/problem anywhere.

I have downloaded several books onto my Fire. They show in the carousel as loaded. A couple of them *work* as expected... touch the book to select it, tap screen to open, read, turn pages etc.

But several books just DO. NOT. WORK. I can select them, but when I tap the screen to open and read... nothing. Just a blank page with the name of the book at the top. I have tried everything I can think of and cannot figure out what is wrong.

Thank you!

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    While this forum is full of helpful members, I recommend reading and posting at MobileRead where the emphasis is on reading books (and other media) on the Fire. You will find loads of information and help:

MobileRead Kindle Fire Forum

DrivetheGreen66
    I've noticed this a couple of times. Sometimes I have to close the book and then reopen and try and turn the page and then it will work.

Btw, welcome to the forum. Glad you joined us.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus via Tapatalk.

Member #
    Thank you for the replies. I eventually ended up calling CS and 2 reps seemed genuinely stumped!

I finally had to do a complete restore to factory settings which was really irritating, but it did work.

I dunno... me and my li'l Fire may be parting ways. It seems SOOOO quirky, and if I have to do another factory reset, I may have to shoot myself in the head!!!!

BTW, thanks for the warm welcome!
    Last edited by Tiskers; 12-25-2011 at 05:47 PM.

Member #
    Ooops, sorry, duplicate post!

Member #
    OHMYWORD!!! It happened again!!!

Turned on my Fire this morning and the books are UNREADABLE again!

I had just gotten everything reloaded and personalized again after the factory reset I had to do. So now I either (1) do without the books (ummm, pretty stupid to have to do on a Kindle!!!) or (2) do another stinking factory reset!!!

I am so frustrated and irritated! GAH!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    [QUOTE=Tiskers;5003]OHMYWORD!!! It happened again!!!

I had just gotten everything reloaded and personalized again after the factory reset I had to do. So now I either (1) do without the books (ummm, pretty stupid to have to do on a Kindle!!!) or (2) do another stinking factory reset!!!

I am so frustrated and irritated! GAH! [/QUOTE

Good thing you've been on with TS with this issue since they have you now on record with what is clearly a faulty device. Try to get them to expedite a replacement. :-)

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk

Member #
    [QUOTE=alphawave7;5031]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiskers View Post
    OHMYWORD!!! It happened again!!!

I am so frustrated and irritated! GAH! [/QUOTE

Good thing you've been on with TS with this issue since they have you now on record with what is clearly a faulty device. Try to get them to expedite a replacement. :-)

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk
    Thanks Alpha. Spoke with Amazon CS *AGAIN* today, they emailed me a return label for the stupid thing and a $20 credit for "my trouble".

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrywu View Post
    Have you solved your problems yet?I am wondering that have you noticed the book format you loaded?some format such as epub ,that is what kindle can not support. And maybe it is the reason .Hope helpful!
    Cherry, thanks for the reply.

Actually, all the books affected were regular Kindle downloads from Amazon, like The Island by Elin Hilderbrand and 11/22/63 from Stephen King. Not even Amazon "freebies", although of course that shouldn't make any difference either.

Amazon sent me a return label for the FIRE and it went back. So far I haven't reordered, either. I'm still mulling that over!

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiskers View Post
    Cherry, thanks for the reply.

Actually, all the books affected were regular Kindle downloads from Amazon, like The Island by Elin Hilderbrand and 11/22/63 from Stephen King. Not even Amazon "freebies", although of course that shouldn't make any difference either.

Amazon sent me a return label for the FIRE and it went back. So far I haven't reordered, either. I'm still mulling that over!
    A little late for my suggestion, but (if a next time) before resorting to a factory reset go Settings, More, Applications, all applications (from drop-down menu), and Amazon Kindle. Select Clear Data. This usually resolves problems similar to yours. If this and a factory reset do not solve it, it is likely that the problem lies with the books you are trying to open and not a hardware problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links