Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Kindle Fire won't charge

This is a discussion on Kindle Fire won't charge within the Amazon Kindle Fire Help forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I bought a new Kindle Fire on Wednesday. For the first few hours everything seemed to work okay. I left it plugged in overnight (factory ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Kindle Fire won't charge

I bought a new Kindle Fire on Wednesday. For the first few hours everything seemed to work okay. I left it plugged in overnight (factory charger). By morning, the battery life was 62% and dropping. The charge indicator light wouldn't come on.

I took it back (Best Buy) and they exchanged it. Took this one home and everthing worked fine for about 24 hours. Now, once again, the Kindle indicates that it isn't charging on the factory charger. I plugged in my phone charger (HTC EVO) and the light indicates charge - but, according to SETTINGS, the battery continues to go down - from 62% to 57% in the last 30 minutes.

What's going on? Anyone have an idea? I'm the first to admit I might not be doing something right. I just can't think what.

All help greatfully appreciated!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Could it be on the charger too long?
    I never leave it on charge to more that 4 hours - and that is when it is down to 10%.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Lithium ion shouldn't have any problem being left on a charger overnight.

What programs are you running. Sounds to me like a buggy program isn't shutting down.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bcobb2350 View Post
    I bought a new Kindle Fire on Wednesday. For the first few hours everything seemed to work okay. I left it plugged in overnight (factory charger). By morning, the battery life was 62% and dropping. The charge indicator light wouldn't come on.

I took it back (Best Buy) and they exchanged it. Took this one home and everthing worked fine for about 24 hours. Now, once again, the Kindle indicates that it isn't charging on the factory charger. I plugged in my phone charger (HTC EVO) and the light indicates charge - but, according to SETTINGS, the battery continues to go down - from 62% to 57% in the last 30 minutes.

What's going on? Anyone have an idea? I'm the first to admit I might not be doing something right. I just can't think what.

All help greatfully appreciated!
    I'm having the same issue off and on.
    Sometimes it will charge fine and at other times it won't charge.
    I believe it's the wall charger. If I plug it in giggle it around it will start charging. Sometimes.
    My plan is to go to either Micro Center or Best Buy to find a usb charger.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Did you try a different wall outlet?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I also experience this issue intermittently. I use the official charger as well as my equivalent cell phone charger and the kindle fire does not respond to the insertion of the charger. Indicator light doesn't turn on and battery life stays the same. Happent both while the kindle is on and asleep. When unit is off, I believe it does charge, however.
    Remember the issue is interrmittent. Somrtimes the unit will charge while I'm using it,as it should. Already researched all the kindle discissionss to this issue. No solution.s provided.

Member #
    I've determined that it is the wall charger that came with the Kindle. I can use my phone wall charger, or a USB charger, and it works perfectly. It also works with the car charger I use for my phone (and bluetooth hands free). I also confirmed that the Kindle wall charger won't charge any other device.

I had exactly the same thing happen on both Kindles. It's not worth a trip back to Best Buy or trying to get a replacement from Amazon.com. Micro USB chargers are pretty cheap.

So, for me, the problem is resolved. It's not fixed - I just have a reasonable work-around.

Thanks to everyone that contributed.

Cheers!

Member #

Same here.. :(

I just went to Best Buy and bought a new USB charger because my old one was bent, but the same thing happened. This isn't good. Someone should help.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I've found that some of my chargers work while others don't. One phone charger won't work at all, while another one works just as well as the stock one that came with my Kindle Fire. I'd suggest asking to test out the chargers your family/friends might have to see what type works well for your Fire.

I've never had a problem with leaving my Fire plugged in over night (for several hours). Also, if your Fire is off and you plug it in to charge it, if it works it will boot up your Kindle, it doesn't stay off when it charges but boots up.

Anyone else have ideas? Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Thanks!
    -Rachel

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Assuming the charger has the same connector any charger with EQUAL VOLTAGE AND EQUAL OR GREATER CURRENT output should work. KF uses 5 Vdc at 1.8 amps (1800 ma.) Any charger with 5 Vdc and 1.8 amps or greater should be ok. A device draws current - it is not pushed into the device so unlike voltage a higher current rating won't hurt it.

Edit I should also say the polarity MUST BE THE SAME.
    Last edited by flathat; 06-18-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Ads