Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Charging

This is a discussion on Charging within the Amazon Kindle Fire Help forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I received a new Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and am having problems with charging the battery to a full charge. I called Amazon customer support ...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Charging

Member #

Charging

I received a new Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and am having problems with charging the battery to a full charge. I called Amazon customer support and they walked me through some fixes which did nothing. I finally returned my first Kindle to Amazon and got another, and this one is doing the same thing. The battery charges to about 80% and stops charging, even when the kindle is off (not just in sleep mode). Some additional charges won't even go as high as 80% before it stops charging. I am wondering if anyone else is having this problem and if anyone knows what can be done about it. I have heard from Amazon customer support that it is a software issue.
    Thank you in advance for any and all advise.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Are you using a external charger or the USB cable that comes with the new Fires? fdalbor

Member #
    I am having a similar problem I think so I decided against making an entirely different thread. I'm using the USB cable that came with the kindle fire 8.9" and plugging it into a wall adapter I have (same one I use for my phone, but I do not use the same cord). when plugged in to charge the battery display will go green as if it's charging then it will stop and go back to grey then back to green. It actually doesn't seem to be adding a charge at all when I unplug it the battery meter is where it was previously at. any suggestions?

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    It does not seem like it is charging at all in some cases. Trouble is I have the orginal Fire and ya'll both have the HD which did not come with a charger, only a USB cable. When I plug in my Fire the button shows green for a few seconds and then changes to Amber (or Orange). When it is amber (or orange) its charging. I have tried it with both the adapter (which the orginal came with), and a USB cable (which I bought) plugged into a USB port on one of my desktops and they both show green, then amber.

Today I tried the charger that came with my cell phone (LG Vu Plus) and it does the same thing, green then amber. Did either of you try going to the Device screen and see if it says the battery is charging when you have it plugged into either a charger or the USB cable. Hit the Gear icon, More, Device and see if the battery is charging. If it is then it sounds like the battery is not accepting the charge and it is a battery problem.

I hate to say this; but I have heard of this problem with the HD models not only on this forum; but on several others. fdalbor

Member #
    Yeah, I started to notice that it was going green, then grey, then green when I was browsing the web. So I plugged it in, left it alone, and it has been charging just fine since. I checked the device screen and it says charging, my guess is that somehow the wire is coming loose while I'm using it browse causing it to unintentionally start and stop again?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Re: Charging

Wow, I thought I was the one who created this thread, then I looked at the author and saw that someone else wrote it.
    I had this issue with my first 8.9, and also with my second (replacement unit) 8.9, and tomorrow I will open the package and give it a try on my third 8.9 (which will be my second replacement 8.9 unit).

The thing charges to around 82% at most, then just stops charging, even if I leave it plugged in for 23 days. Nothing has resolved the issue, including 3.2 amp chargers. Even turning off the wifi and dimming the screen to 0% doesnt help.
    Anyway, I'm happy with my original Kf for now and will have to decide what to do with my third 8.9 unit because it will likely be junk like the first two. Sorry I cant help you, Roledan. All I can say is I know the feeling.
    Last edited by herosemblem; 02-03-2013 at 01:54 AM.

Ads