Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Notifications And As Tweak

This is a discussion on Notifications And As Tweak within the Amazon Kindle Fire Help forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Hi I am completely new to Kindle fire and Alexa related devices. I just got my husband an echo dot and my kids the kid ...

Member #

Question Notifications And As Tweak

Hi I am completely new to Kindle fire and Alexa related devices. I just got my husband an echo dot and my kids the kid kindle fire 7 so I fell in love with Kindle Fire/ Amazon Alexas echo system and got myself a fire 7 (2019 model 16gb with the ads. I got myself some extra storage via sd card

I've never had an Android tablet I have enjoyed like this. I side loaded Google play and the related APKs so I could get some Google apps I would prefer over some of Amazon's offerings. I am using Hangouts on it and notifications are completely allowed but it isn't sending me notifications which I wanted hangouts to work around the fact that I can't text from my tablet and sometimes it would be nice when my phone is down or dead. Is there a work around or even an app that functions similarly to hangouts but is more kindle fire friendly?

Also is there a work around for the lock screen ads? I don't want to root it so assuming there's no rootless way to get rid of it, I can live with the mild annoyance.
    Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
    Hi I am completely new to Kindle fire and Alexa related devices. I just got my husband an echo dot and my kids the kid kindle fire 7 so I fell in love with Kindle Fire/ Amazon Alexas echo system and got myself a fire 7 (2019 model 16gb with the ads. I got myself some extra storage via sd card

I've never had an Android tablet I have enjoyed like this. I side loaded Google play and the related APKs so I could get some Google apps I would prefer over some of Amazon's offerings. I am using Hangouts on it and notifications are completely allowed but it isn't sending me notifications which I wanted hangouts to work around the fact that I can't text from my tablet and sometimes it would be nice when my phone is down or dead. Is there a work around or even an app that functions similarly to hangouts but is more kindle fire friendly?

Also is there a work around for the lock screen ads? I don't want to root it so assuming there's no rootless way to get rid of it, I can live with the mild annoyance.
    Thanks in advance!
    there's a very easy work around for the lock screen adds, just don't register the tablet with amazon and no adds. there even more of a benefit if you've put google play on it as its stops the amazon frame work from working, meaning you only have the google frame work clogging up your processor of course it runs even better with nether

my experience of installing google was it made the tablet run like treacle, there's a whole industry in people uninstalling it off things that had it in the first place, usually referred to as '' rooting'' you can download all the free apps and quite a few older paid for ones using other market places, the vast majority of which work just fine with out installing google, it really depends which apps you really must have as to if its worth the effort

there's one major incompatibility with google play and that is amazon won't allow apps to do somethings, it just wont allow the permissions to be granted to completely take over your tablet, this is in the main an advantage but can be frustrating, i'm not aware that it will stop notifications, have a look in the setting of the tablet and the hang out apps to see if there's a turn on notifications button, cant really say more as i don't use it

heres a google play app, that allows sms messaging from a tablet

don't know if it will work on a fire, but its easy to find out
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ablet&hl=en_US
    Last edited by jobo; 12-23-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jobo View Post
    there's a very easy work around for the lock screen adds, just don't register the tablet with amazon and no adds. there even more of a benefit if you've put google play on it as its stops the amazon frame work from working, meaning you only have the google frame work clogging up your processor of course it runs even better with nether

my experience of installing google was it made the tablet run like treacle, there's a whole industry in people uninstalling it off things that had it in the first place, usually referred to as '' rooting'' you can download all the free apps and quite a few older paid for ones using other market places, the vast majority of which work just fine with out installing google, it really depends which apps you really must have as to if its worth the effort

there's one major incompatibility with google play and that is amazon won't allow apps to do somethings, it just wont allow the permissions to be granted to completely take over your tablet, this is in the main an advantage but can be frustrating, i'm not aware that it will stop notifications, have a look in the setting of the tablet and the hang out apps to see if there's a turn on notifications button, cant really say more as i don't use it

heres a google play app, that allows sms messaging from a tablet

don't know if it will work on a fire, but its easy to find out
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ablet&hl=en_US
    Okay I have encountered a new issue
    I wanted to use Alexa to drop in on my mom's echo dot. I was able to do this before with my first fire tablet that belongs to my kids. Its registered to my account because I only want one prime account. Anyway, when I try to use the communicate tab in Alexa it says
    "Communications is not enabled on this device. Go to settings in Alexa Devices to turn on." and the options below the message
    "settings" and "Cancel"
    I click "Settings" and it takes me to my device history. Things I have recently said to Alexa or had her do. This is obviously not the communication settings. I try to go to the settings within the app and I see nothing that says or shows how to enable communications. It offers me to sign into skype but that's all I see. Any fix for this? I factory reset the tablet which took all the google APKs off because I thought factory resetting it would help but even after reinstalling everything to my Fire Tablet minus Google APKS, Alexa still won't let me grant my mother permission to communicate with me by dropping in on me or sending me voice messages on Alexa. And it keeps giving me the message that I have to turn it on. I can't even open the communicate tab/icon. It gives me that message "Communications is not enabled...etc" and if I hit settings it sends me to the "Activities" page.
    Last edited by Momofmany; 12-23-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
    Okay I have encountered a new issue
    I wanted to use Alexa to drop in on my mom's echo dot. I was able to do this before with my first fire tablet that belongs to my kids. Its registered to my account because I only want one prime account. Anyway, when I try to use the communicate tab in Alexa it says
    "Communications is not enabled on this device. Go to settings in Alexa Devices to turn on." and the options below the message
    "settings" and "Cancel"
    I click "Settings" and it takes me to my device history. Things I have recently said to Alexa or had her do. This is obviously not the communication settings. I try to go to the settings within the app and I see nothing that says or shows how to enable communications. It offers me to sign into skype but that's all I see. Any fix for this? I factory reset the tablet which took all the google APKs off because I thought factory resetting it would help but even after reinstalling everything to my Fire Tablet minus Google APKS, Alexa still won't let me grant my mother permission to communicate with me by dropping in on me or sending me voice messages on Alexa. And it keeps giving me the message that I have to turn it on. I can't even open the communicate tab/icon. It gives me that message "Communications is not enabled...etc" and if I hit settings it sends me to the "Activities" page.
    sorry don't do alexa or any of the other girly named assistants, after a brief flirtation and frustration i decided it was infinitely less trouble to press a ''button'' or two, than persist with a still developing technology

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links