Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Fire HD 10 Using Excessive Data

This is a discussion on Fire HD 10 Using Excessive Data within the Amazon Kindle Fire Help forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Hello, I need help figuring out why a newly added Fire HD 10 has tripled internet data use. I set my mother up on this ...

Member #

Fire HD 10 Using Excessive Data

Hello, I need help figuring out why a newly added Fire HD 10 has tripled internet data use.
    I set my mother up on this tablet to replace her 5 year old Kindle 8.9. I canít figure out why her internet data use has risen. She only uses a handful of apps and that hasnít changed with the new tablet. Iíve gone through the settings and believe Iíve turned off anything running in the background. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SueC View Post
    Hello, I need help figuring out why a newly added Fire HD 10 has tripled internet data use.
    I set my mother up on this tablet to replace her 5 year old Kindle 8.9. I can’t figure out why her internet data use has risen. She only uses a handful of apps and that hasn’t changed with the new tablet. I’ve gone through the settings and believe I’ve turned off anything running in the background. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I suspect the fact its a higher definition screen and a bigger one at that is at least part of the problem, then it depends what she is doing with it, if it's high def movies it will just eat data, less so if it's general internet use, but stuff with high picture or content even block colour go through data at an impressive rate,

Turn movies down to 360; that will save considerable amount over 720 never mind actual high def, that will give you a whole movie for less than 300 mb, as opposed to the near gigabit that 720 will use and the two to three gig that high def will use.

For internet use either install Samsung max which allows you to see exactly where your data is going and put some controls on usage or puffin browser, which claims to save you 80% of your data, through 50% is a bit more realistic

Or of course you could just join the rest of the 21st century and pay for unlimited data !
    Last edited by jobo; 06-13-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Member #
    Thank you for the suggestions. I will try one of the data trackers/managers. I’m trying to help out a senior on a limited income and raising her data package to unlimited is not an option. Her old tablet was a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and monthly usage never exceeded 10 GB. Now that she’s upgraded to the Fire, her use of the tablet hasn’t changed but her data use has tripled. She doesn’t download movies or tv, only uses Facebook, email, words with friends and light browsing.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links