Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Wireless Routers / Wifi for Dummies..

This is a discussion on Wireless Routers / Wifi for Dummies.. within the Amazon Kindle Fire Help forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Yep, my modem has some funky squared hole plugs in the back - one of them has something plugged in (printer I think) internet cable ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Wireless Routers / Wifi for Dummies..

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The Pacific Northwest - Crescent City, California
    Yep, my modem has some funky squared hole plugs in the back - one of them has something plugged in (printer I think) internet cable line is round and screwed into a different port - sound right to you? Will the ethernet cable come with the router or do I get that separately? You guys are all so helpful.. putting you on my contact list and friending you in case I need to take you up on that walk through.[COLOR="#0000CD"][/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Howdy Faye!
    Your modem should have an ethernet port usually on the back, it looks like a large phone plug. You can attach a standard ethernet cable to the modem, and plug the other end into your new router (follow router directions to know which port, there may be more than one type). Once connected, there's usually a short series of steps to configure the router to your WAN (wide area network..the interwebs) as well as your LAN (local area network..your home network like your phone, tab, computers,etc.). Once you decide on a router and purchase, tell us which one you have (make, model, version) and we can review the manual online ourselves, and help out if you run into any issues. Don't worry, we gotcher back!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Yep..sounds right to me. Printers typically hang off computers, and they're often 'shared' over the lan. With this one plugged into the modem, I assume it's 'net-ready', but do you know how you're printing with it currently? It sounds like you may already have a lan (wlan...wireless lan). Is the printer directly connected to anything other than the modem?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I might be missing something here, but Faye, who's your internet provider? Sounds like you might already have wireless? Do you have a computer connected to the internet somehow already?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ok, so my hubby says that is NOT the printer plugged into the modem - it is the incoming cable line, modem to computer and power line. Opps! Told you I didn't know what the heck! Hubby says the printer is connected to the computer... Does this make better sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Yep..sounds right to me. Printers typically hang off computers, and they're often 'shared' over the lan. With this one plugged into the modem, I assume it's 'net-ready', but do you know how you're printing with it currently? It sounds like you may already have a lan (wlan...wireless lan). Is the printer directly connected to anything other than the modem?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    My internet provider is AOL - I have broadband via Comcast Cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faye View Post
    Ok, so my hubby says that is NOT the printer plugged into the modem - it is the incoming cable line, modem to computer and power line. Opps! Told you I didn't know what the heck! Hubby says the printer is connected to the computer... Does this make better sense?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    The router may come with an Ethernet cable, if not you can purchase one in the same place. You'll take the line currently running from the modem to the computer and plug it into the router, then take another cable and run it from the router to the computer.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I am on AOL - and my broadband internet connection is with Comcast Cable. - but as I just told Alphawave: it is NOT the printer connected to the modem, it is the line to the computer from the modem I was looking at.. there is also the incoming cable hooked to the modem and the powerline (those three) - I hope this makes things clearer. I am pretty certain I am not able to do the wifi thing as it is now.
    Quote Originally Posted by coleman View Post
    I might be missing something here, but Faye, who's your internet provider? Sounds like you might already have wireless? Do you have a computer connected to the internet somehow already?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks.. I guess I can figure it out. Loving the help I get here.. thanks again.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Much more! That's a 'normal' arrangement, and as has been mentioned, we'll plug the router into the modem following the instruction wrt port, and then plug another cable to the puter. Once it is up and running on the net, we can configure the wlan portion of your network.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Thanks.. I guess I can figure it out. Loving the help I get here.. thanks again.
    That's what we're here for.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links