Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Restore To Fire OS 4

This is a discussion on Restore To Fire OS 4 within the Amazon Kindle Fire Help forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Hello, I was recently having issues with my Kindle Fire HD (4th generation) being unable to stream movies. Amazon Customer service has so far been ...

Member #

Restore To Fire OS 4

Hello,

I was recently having issues with my Kindle Fire HD (4th generation) being unable to stream movies. Amazon Customer service has so far been unable to solve this issue. I did see on my device that I could update my software. Thinking that my software was out of date and may be causing the video issues I had been having, I chose to update. I did not realize I was not updating, but upgrading... to Fire OS 5. I do not like the new software at all, and I really miss the carousel and ease of use of Fire OS 4. In searching for an answer, I saw the users of the 4th generation Fire HD had the option to downgrade back to Fire OS 4. Perfect, but the selection didn't appear on my screen. I called customer service and they told me that I now had OS 5.6.1.0 and could not go back. I could only go back to Fire OS 4 if I had OS 5.3.1 or lower.

Does any one have any options for me? The carousel and set up of the Fire OS 4 was what drew me to purchase it several years ago instead of a different tablet. I am really disappointed, and would greatly appreciation any help.

Ben
    Member #
    Hi I am having similar problems with my fire HD 7 4th gen too. I was looking at root downloads but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Member #
    Hello,

Here is an update: If you are having difficulties streaming movies, I would suggest upgrading your device to Fire OS 5. Although I'm not a huge fan of the interface, I can get used to it and I'm happy to be able to stream movies again. Maybe Amazon is not supporting Fire OS 4 as much any more, and I'm sure eventually we won't get a choice but to upgrade to Fire OS 5. To upgrade your software, simply download the file from Amazon and transfer it to your Kindle Fire via USB.

You can downgrade to Fire OS 4 from Fire OS 5 if you'd like. I followed directions on the XDA forums and was able to successfully downgrade. You don't have to root the device if you don't want to, you can simply downgrade the operating system. However, once I returned to Fire OS 4, my video streaming issues returned. I also had issues with my Kindle Fire becoming stuck (it wouldn't turn on at all or enter recovery mode, just a black screen no matter what). If that happens, you can follow the directions on the XDA forums to unbrick your device. All in all, I've decided to simply stick with the updated Fire OS 5 and enjoy my movies.
    Last edited by cali; 09-06-2018 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Removed External Links

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links