Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ebook cover shown as microsoft words

This is a discussion on ebook cover shown as microsoft words within the Amazon Kindle Fire Help forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Hello, I'm recently got my kindle fire. Today I copy my ebook collection to my kindle, but some ebook's cover doesn't show up, instead shown ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OWJones

Thread: ebook cover shown as microsoft words

Member #

Question ebook cover shown as microsoft words

Hello, I'm recently got my kindle fire. Today I copy my ebook collection to my kindle, but some ebook's cover doesn't show up, instead shown as microsoft words cover.
    I use calibre for my ebooks, and all ebooks' cover shown with no problem at calibre. And I use calibre to send ebooks to kindle fire.

Thanks in advance

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've been able to fix this by re-converting the books in Calibre. Make sure that Calibre has a cover image you like, then tell it to convert the ebook to MOBI format - it will say "but you already have it in MOBI format, do you really want to reconvert?" and you tell it "yes".

After the conversion is over, you'll notice you now have two different book formats one is MOBI and the other is Original_MOBI - you can delete the Original_MOBI version to free up space - it should be the same as the new MOBI version, only the new MOBI file will have the new cover from Calibre included in it.

Before you do any MOBI conversions in Calibre, be sure to click on Preferences, then under Conversion select Output Options, then select MOBI Output and on the right where it shows "Kindle options" and a field labeled "Personal Doc tag:" - make sure that field is blank! By default it has something like [PDOC] in that field, and any files you convert to MOBI will show up as Documents instead of as Books - clearing out that field will fix this issue.

I've been going through the 7500+ books in my Calibre library, updating the metadata and covers and then reconverting them to MOBI to replace the [PDOC] tag and to make sure they all have the correct cover image - it's a pain, but I'm kind of anal-retentive that way...
    dokie80 likes this.

Member #
    Yes, I already re-converted all my ebooks. While all books now shows in "books" section, some ebooks still showing no cover. Did re-convert several times with no success.
    Re-converting makes the book have more than 1 toc though, coz calibre generate new toc everytime u convert, though I think u can disableit in preference

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I saw this same thing happen in the Kindle for Android app on my Motorola Xoom - books I transferred had a different cover than they did in Calibre - somehow overnight the covers fixed themselves (I suspect shoe-making elves did it).

I've read elsewhere, but not been able to confirm, that if the ISBN # is correct in Calibre when the MOBI file is converted, then the Kindle app will download correct cover images, so that might explain why the covers seem to mysteriously appear. Next time I see a book with an improper cover, I'll be sure to turn WiFi off and see if the cover corrects itself without access to the 'net...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links