Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

"Web Page Unavailable" On 1st Gen Kindle Fire

This is a discussion on "Web Page Unavailable" On 1st Gen Kindle Fire within the Amazon Kindle Fire Help forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I just did a factory reset on my ancient 1st gen Kindle Fire. Now, using the Silk browser, I can't access two web sites which ...

Member #

"Web Page Unavailable" On 1st Gen Kindle Fire

I just did a factory reset on my ancient 1st gen Kindle Fire. Now, using the Silk browser, I can't access two web sites which I know are NOT having problems of their own: www.nytimes.com and www.llbean.com. I have a perfect wi-fi connection on the Kindle, and both of these web sites are working fine via my cell phone and laptop. I had no problems accessing both sites via the Silk browser before I did the reset. Anyone have a solution?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientangler View Post
    I just did a factory reset on my ancient 1st gen Kindle Fire. Now, using the Silk browser, I can't access two web sites which I know are NOT having problems of their own: www.nytimes.com and www.llbean.com. I have a perfect wi-fi connection on the Kindle, and both of these web sites are working fine via my cell phone and laptop. I had no problems accessing both sites via the Silk browser before I did the reset. Anyone have a solution?
    The silk browser is prone to taking so long that's some pages time out as unavailable

If you've done a reset, you've removed all the updates that have happen in the last 10 years, which won't have helped it any, so try installing up dates to see if that helps ??? A better solution may be to install another browser, try puffin(fast) browser, it's extremely fast and mostly reliable, nether of which you can say for the silk browser
    Last edited by jobo; 07-25-2018 at 04:35 AM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jobo View Post
    The silk browser is prone to taking so long that's some pages time out as unavailable

If you've done a reset, you've removed all the updates that have happen in the last 10 years, which won't have helped it any, so try installing up dates to see if that helps ??? A better solution may be to install another browser, try puffin(fast) browser, it's extremely fast and mostly reliable, nether of which you can say for the silk browser
    It has all pertinent updates, at least according to Amazon. But, I'm getting a lot more security warnings about mismatched certificates. So...who knows?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientangler View Post
    It has all pertinent updates, at least according to Amazon. But, I'm getting a lot more security warnings about mismatched certificates. So...who knows?
    That's the silk browser for you, it's security conscious to the point of being unusable, try the puffin browser, it's night and day better,

Member #
    Did I hear someone say "root the silly thing"? Oh yeah - I just said that. :-)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    We'll maybe you could turn it into a electric picture frame !!!

Moore's. Law is against you, at that age / spec, what was actually quite good in 2011, is now well under powered, its only got a 1 ghz single core processor, with that it may struggle. To run a modern version of silk and or process web pages with a high data content, as devices get more wiz, web pages get heavier, as web pages get heavier, devices get more wiz, its a never ending circle.

That puffin browser i recommended, uses an external server and data compression, meaning your device only needs to fo a quarter of the work, that silk requires it to do, so caster and smoother, you might get a few more years out of it that way

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links