Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How to Avoid Amazon Charges?

This is a discussion on How to Avoid Amazon Charges? within the Amazon Kindle Fire Help forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Hi, I've noticed a couple of little charges on my credit card statement from Amazon from Amazon Digital Services for $.99. I'll bet I've accidentally ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By flyin-lowe

Thread: How to Avoid Amazon Charges?

Member #

How to Avoid Amazon Charges?

Hi, I've noticed a couple of little charges on my credit card statement from Amazon from Amazon Digital Services for $.99. I'll bet I've accidentally done something or downloaded something to get these. I don't want these in the future and want to avoid making a big mistake. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing to get these? I check for free apps on my KF everyday by going to the App menu, then clicking store. Some days I download a free app. Also I have downloaded free Kindle ebooks from Amazon.com's Kindle Store. Can anyone help me understand what free stuff to avoid these hidden charges?
    Thanks a lot.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Most likely you (or someone else using your Kindle Fire) has downloaded apps from Amazon. The first thing to do is to make sure you have a working email address associated with your Amazon account. When digital purchases are made on that account you'll be notified by email. Then you won't have to wait for your credit card statement to see such charges.

Since you say the charges are for $.99 it's very likely that the charges are not "hidden" fees associated with some other purchase but apps. Could be books but the ninety-nine cent price point is a very common app charge and less likely to be a book. So look carefully at the apps on your device (and those stored in the cloud) to see if you recognize each and every one as something you believe you purchased.

Finally, I think this is unlikely, but it's something you might check. Did you by any chance discontinue your Prime membership after the free month you received when you got the Fire? If so, you gave up the "free app a day" benefit. Since many of those "free apps" usually retail for $.99 you may have purchased some apps you believed were free after your Prime membership was discontinued.

And now, if all else fails, call Kindle Customer Service. The number is available in the help portion of your settings. It may be that another KF is registered to your credit card but with a different email address. That might explain why you haven't been notified of the purchases but the charges end up on your credit card.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    Most likely you (or someone else using your Kindle Fire) has downloaded apps from Amazon. The first thing to do is to make sure you have a working email address associated with your Amazon account. When digital purchases are made on that account you'll be notified by email. Then you won't have to wait for your credit card statement to see such charges.

Since you say the charges are for $.99 it's very likely that the charges are not "hidden" fees associated with some other purchase but apps. Could be books but the ninety-nine cent price point is a very common app charge and less likely to be a book. So look carefully at the apps on your device (and those stored in the cloud) to see if you recognize each and every one as something you believe you purchased.

Finally, I think this is unlikely, but it's something you might check. Did you by any chance discontinue your Prime membership after the free month you received when you got the Fire? If so, you gave up the "free app a day" benefit. Since many of those "free apps" usually retail for $.99 you may have purchased some apps you believed were free after your Prime membership was discontinued.

And now, if all else fails, call Kindle Customer Service. The number is available in the help portion of your settings. It may be that another KF is registered to your credit card but with a different email address. That might explain why you haven't been notified of the purchases but the charges end up on your credit card.
    I believe most of this but there still is a free app of the day even without Kindle Prime.

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveIl View Post
    I believe most of this but there still is a free app of the day even without Kindle Prime.
    Really? Apologies. I was under the impression that was a Prime perk. I stand corrected.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Also, did you subscribe to any magazines that had a free trial and didn't cancel them?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I get those charges too. It seems like when I buy a free book. It doesn't charge me every time though. I don't know what is up with that either.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You need to go onto your amazon account and turn off the 1 click checkout option, as well as the 1 click checkout for digital content. By default the one click is turned on so if somebody (like my kids do) purchase something it goes straight to your credit card without a password or anything. If you turn the 1 click off there are a few more steps you have to go to purchase something so the kids can't do it.
    Hawaiian Princess likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links