Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Using Kindle Fire HDX 7 With Chromecast

This is a discussion on Using Kindle Fire HDX 7 With Chromecast within the Amazon Kindle Fire Help forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Does anyone know if there is a way to use a 3rd gen Fire HDX7 to cast videos to a tv screen via Chromecast without ...

Member #

Using Kindle Fire HDX 7 With Chromecast

Does anyone know if there is a way to use a 3rd gen Fire HDX7 to cast videos to a tv screen via Chromecast without rooting the tablet? I managed to load Chrome browser on my HDX but it is not seeing my Chromecast and there is no cast icon on Chrome, Netflix, Youtube, etc.

I have a newer Fire 7 (2017 version) with which I can cast both Chrome screen and Youtube videos to my Chromecast if I access Youtube via Chrome rather than using the Youtube app. On this tablet I loaded the Google Play Store using apk files and directions found on the Internet.

However, the HDX will not open the apk files needed for Google Play Store installation. The HDX is a much nicer tablet than the Fire 7 2017 which is very slow and laggy. I would love to be able to use the HDX to send Netflix and Youtube videos to my tv via the Chromecast. An Amazon rep told me this is not possible but I thought the experts here might have a work-around?

Thanks and kindest regards!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bullyg View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a way to use a 3rd gen Fire HDX7 to cast videos to a tv screen via Chromecast without rooting the tablet? I managed to load Chrome browser on my HDX but it is not seeing my Chromecast and there is no cast icon on Chrome, Netflix, Youtube, etc.

I have a newer Fire 7 (2017 version) with which I can cast both Chrome screen and Youtube videos to my Chromecast if I access Youtube via Chrome rather than using the Youtube app. On this tablet I loaded the Google Play Store using apk files and directions found on the Internet.

However, the HDX will not open the apk files needed for Google Play Store installation. The HDX is a much nicer tablet than the Fire 7 2017 which is very slow and laggy. I would love to be able to use the HDX to send Netflix and Youtube videos to my tv via the Chromecast. An Amazon rep told me this is not possible but I thought the experts here might have a work-around?
    I
    Thanks and kindest regards!
    What difficulty are you having with the ap k files on the hdx,? There is some times a problem with a greyed out install button, if that's the problem I can sort that or is it saying " problem parsing package" ?

I haven't got a hdx, so can't advise on a specific sence, but some things to try.

You need Google play etc to launch the chrome cast, you should after that be able to connect any android device to it, but you will need a casting app, I used all cast, so install that. Then using the later fire, go into Google home and turn on, allow other devices to access chrome cast, it should then out a,security number on the screen, which you input into the all cast app to grant acce but I haven't tried this with out Google play on the sending devicess,

Off course the best work around is to buy a fire stick and cast to that
    Last edited by jobo; 06-18-2018 at 03:08 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jobo View Post
    What difficulty are you having with the ap k files on the hdx,? There is some times a problem with a greyed out install button, if that's the problem I can sort that or is it saying " problem parsing package" ?

I haven't got a hdx, so can't advise on a specific sence, but some things to try.

You need Google play etc to launch the chrome cast, you should after that be able to connect any android device to it, but you will need a casting app, I used all cast, so install that. Then using the later fire, go into Google home and turn on, allow other devices to access chrome cast, it should then out a,security number on the screen, which you input into the all cast app to grant acce but I haven't tried this with out Google play on the sending devicess,

Off course the best work around is to buy a fire stick and cast to that
    Nb, you 7" is probably leggy as you have Google play installed and that does make them laggy, if you install it on the hdx, that too will be laggy, but possibly not as laggy, as it has a better processor in it, after much messing about with chrome cast( which isn't very good in the best of situations) I decided a non leggy tablet and a fire stick was the way forward
    Last edited by jobo; 06-18-2018 at 07:16 AM.

Member #
    Thanks very much for the replies.

Jobo, when I try to use the 4 apk files I used to install Google play on my newer generation Fire 7, they are in fact "greyed out" on the Fire HDX.

I don't want to slow down my HDX so maybe I should just give up on the idea of using this tablet to cast. Or, see below I could temporarily install Google Play to grab Chromecast app and then uninstall Google Play?

I may try uninstalling the Google Play store from my newer gen Fire 7 and see if Chrome can still cast. If I open Youtube on Chrome on this tablet it does give me the casting icon and does actually work--I can see Youtube videos on my tv when sent from the newer Fire with no other casting apps installed--it (the casting icon) just appeared on the toolbar on the Chrome browser when I installed it from Google Play--interestingly, I can also see my Chrome bookmarks on this tablet. I can't remember exactly how I loaded Chrome on the HDX but on the HDX my bookmarks do not show up. I think I found a simple link on the internet for putting Chrome on the HDX as I obviously did not do it through the Google Play Store.

I also can cast from my iPad and iPhone so I have options........it just bothers me that my most expensive and best-performing Fire will not do something I want it to do! It also sucks that Amazon is choosing not to upgrade the software on the older model tablets--if they did, I have a feeling I could easily install Google Play Store. They give the updates to the cheapo $50 tablets but not to the one I paid like $250 for a few years ago!

Thanks again and any other thoughts you have would be appreciated!

Kindest regards,

Russ

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    The grey out thing is common, I think it's Amazon saying don't do this! It seems time related, get it to greyed out and then leave it for a while, 5,2030 mins, after an unspecified time it will stop being greyed out and let you install it, I also had some luck opening the file twice, then close the top one and the existing one should be ready to install,

Member #
    Dear Jobo,

I'm getting closer! There is a website called RedSkull Productions which has the 4 apk files for installing the Google Play store and 2 apk files for Google Services. I installed all six successfully and now see the Play Store app on my HDX!

However, when I press on the icon to select it opens a window "Add a Google Account" and then asks if I want to add an existing or create a new account. I select "Existing" and then enter my email address and Google password on the next screen. This is where I get stuck. It keeps saying "Couldn't sign in--there was a problem communicating with Google servers. Try again later." I tried doing a hard restart on the tablet and it didn't help. I'm going to go get some lunch and "try again later" as the error message suggests.

If this doesn't work I'll uninstall the Play Store and Services apps and try again...........if you have any other thoughts do please share them with me......

On the plus side having the Play Store installed doesn't seem to have slowed down my HDX--seriously, I just bought an iPad 2018 and the HDX screen is just as good and browsing speed is not much slower than the brand new iPad! I don't know why Amazon doesn't make a few tablets with better processors, I'd buy a new one for sure.......

Best,

Russ

Member #
    Dear Jobo,

Well, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the 6 apk files needed for the Google Play Store and Google Services and both apps appear on my HDX. As I mentioned above, I simply can't get past the "Add a Google account" sign in screens--it keeps saying there is a problem communicating with Google servers

I tried creating a new account and still ended up with the same error message. It's weird because I tried signing out of my Chrome account and then signed back in with no problem--I'm assuming the Chrome account logins must also run through the Google servers? I'm not very tech savvy so this may not be true but it's weird that I can sign in to one Google entity and not the other.........anyway, if you have any other thoughts I would appreciate if you would share them with me.........thanks again for everything--you at least helped me get the apps on the device!

Cheers,

Russ

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links