Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

To root or not to root?

This is a discussion on To root or not to root? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; So I am a little nervous about rooting my Kindle Fire. I mainly want access to the Android Marketplace and to change my background pictures. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #

To root or not to root?

So I am a little nervous about rooting my Kindle Fire. I mainly want access to the Android Marketplace and to change my background pictures. I'm a bit hesitant to do it because I'm not really sure how it will affect my KF other than the Instant streaming. Will I still be able to use netflix?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    NO - Because I don't know how to.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    No because I don't need to. My KF does almost everything my HTC Thunderbolt can do without rooting. It almost does everything my PC can do as a matter of fact except the MS Office srtuff......

Member #
    Not sure if this will help. If you have a computer around. The fire has all kinds of clouds other than Amazon. I do not remember exactly where it is in the setting, I have to search every time I need info. Down load the apps you want to your computer and put in a cloud (I use dropbox's shared folder). Go to the cloud with the kindle and the apps will install when you click on them. There is a setting to allow for "other than Amazon" software to be installed in the device menu(or you may get install errors).

New here but learned a few tricks just getting here. I have had to do a few reboots along the roads less traveled. But as long as we don't mess with root's it does have a facotory restore .

Member #
    I'll probably be rooting mine eventually simply because I want access to the google market.
    I've been using Android for over 2 years and between the Amazon App Store and the Google Market I've bought several apps I'd like to at least have the option to use on my KF.

To me, thats the main advantage of rooting the KF.

The only way I'd flash a ROM is if there were a sure fire guaranteed way to flash back to 100% stock in case of emergency... I havent done enough research yet to know if that is possible. My KF is being delivered today :P

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Speeding Wheels View Post
    I'll probably be rooting mine eventually simply because I want access to the google market.
    I've been using Android for over 2 years and between the Amazon App Store and the Google Market I've bought several apps I'd like to at least have the option to use on my KF.

The only way I'd flash a ROM is if there were a sure fire guaranteed way to flash back to 100% stock in case of emergency... I havent done enough research yet to know if that is possible. My KF is being delivered today :P
    Yes... what I most want is access to the google market. But ive heard that when you root, you can no longer use the instant video. Is rooting permanent? Will I be able to switch back and forth?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by leminz98 View Post
    Yes... what I most want is access to the google market. But ive heard that when you root, you can no longer use the instant video. Is rooting permanent? Will I be able to switch back and forth?
    With BurritoRoot you can root and unroot.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Speeding Wheels View Post

There is no reason to root since you already have access to the Google market. If you have been using Android for over two years I assume you have another Android device. You can very easily side-load apps to your Fire by using a backup app such as My Backup or Appsaver, both free. Download app (if not already installed) to your other device, backup the desired app with one of the backup apps I have mentioned, and then send the .apk to your Fire. Simple.

The only caveat, obviously, is that you will have to go through the same steps for any updates.
    Last edited by Skydog; 01-13-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    There is no reason to root since you already have access to the Google market. If you have been using Android for over two years I assume you have another Android device. You can very easily side-load apps to your Fire by using a backup app such as My Backup or Appsaver, both free. Download app (if not already installed) to your other device, backup the desired app with one of the backup apps I have mentioned, and then send the .apk to your Fire. Simple.

The only caveat, obviously, is that you will have to go through the same steps for any updates.
    Problem is I'm no longer on an Android device. It's not that I dont love Droid's, it's that the manufacturers have begun to churn out new devices too quickly and they all have major issues... and they're not getting bug fixes out in a timely enough manner.
    Needless to say I'm staying away from Android phones until either;
    A. Motorola unlocks their bootloaders
    or
    B. Samsung improves their build quality to the point their devices actually feel solid in my hand.

That leaves me back at square 1... rooting to get access to the Google Market

.........if UPS ever shows up today.

Member #
    Ok. So anyways I think I'm going to root this thing. Will I be able to switch back and forth between my rooted kindle and the regular kindle? I need a straight answer on that.
    Last edited by leminz98; 01-14-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links