Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

A few questions

This is a discussion on A few questions within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; 1. Does it have Bluetooth? If not, will there be any other options for hooking up a microphone? 2. SD card reader? If not, is ...

Thread: A few questions

Member #

A few questions

1. Does it have Bluetooth? If not, will there be any other options for hooking up a microphone?
    2. SD card reader? If not, is there any other way to transfer photos and video from my digital camera without a computer?
    3. I have a rooted Nook Color. Are there enough improvements to justify getting a Kindle Fire?
    4. Can I install CM7? Would I want or need to?
    5. I use Google Earth and Google Maps A LOT. Will these apps be available for the Fire? If not, this is a definite deal breaker for me.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Wrcousert: No Bluetooth. I doubt the headphone jack works as a headset jack like some android tablets do, but it is possible. No memory expansion, but the USB jack may be USB-Host compatible and capable of accessing data off of USB drives and USB~SD/MicroSD adapters. The Kindle Fire is much more capable hardware-wise than the Nook Color. Much faster dual-core processor to start.
    CM7 should'nt be necessary, but only time will tell if it can be installed.
    There may not be any location services in the Fire, which would make Maps and Earth a bit pointless. I suspect they'll side-load onto the Fire though.

Member #
    I'd like to see some sort of portable docking station for the Fire, with the following:

1. Bluetooth
    2. SDHC/SDXC card reader
    3. GPS
    4. Extra battery
    5. Optional 3G or 4G
    6. Cameras - both front facing and rear facing. Supposedly cameras are dirt cheap, the hardware costing less than $10. It's a shame Amazon didn't include them.

Design it so the Fire could slip into it like a cover, adding perhaps another two to three inches to the length.

I would be willing to pay as much as $150 for something like this.
    Last edited by wrcousert; 09-30-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
    I'd like to see some sort of portable docking station for the Fire, with the following:

1. Bluetooth
    2. SDHC/SDXC card reader
    3. GPS
    4. Extra battery
    5. Optional 3G or 4G
    6. Cameras - both front facing and rear facing. Supposedly cameras are dirt cheap, the hardware costing less than $10. It's a shame Amazon didn't include them.

Design it so the Fire could slip into it like a cover, adding perhaps another two to three inches to the length.

I would be willing to pay as much as $150 for something like this.
    You don't need a Fire + an add-on. You need a regular tablet. I suggest you check out the newly $299 HTC Flyer. It has GPS, Card slot, Bluetooth, Cameras. A 3G/4G box can be added seperately.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Yeah, I mean if you're spending the extra you may aswell just go for a fully featured tablet. The KF lacks features you mentioned to drive the price down, putting them in and increasing the price would make this "just another tablet"
    The only true Daniel on this forum, accept no imitations.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    I agree. I'd get a A100 or a Flyer or something.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    The "draw" is the seamless integration with Amazon content. For those with Prime/Streaming Video & a large Kindle book collection, along with the price, it's a major package that is, IMO, pulling in folks who have been on the fence about a tablet.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cegabq View Post
    The "draw" is the seamless integration with Amazon content. For those with Prime/Streaming Video & a large Kindle book collection, along with the price, it's a major package that is, IMO, pulling in folks who have been on the fence about a tablet.
    You are on to something there. The $199 price means it'll be the first tablet millions of people buy. The limits mean it won't be the last. Should Amazon come out with a $249 model in 6 months that adds a memory slot, bluetooth, a USB host port, etc., that could be the second one all those people buy. Very few Kindle owners have only one. It was having the first one that convinced them they needed the second one though.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    It was a Kindle that convinced me I needed a tablet.

Support Our Troops!!
    Sent from an Incredible phone via Tapatalk

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links