Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Why I Won't Root My Kindle fire

This is a discussion on Why I Won't Root My Kindle fire within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; As I posted elsewhere, I got my Fire in a straight swap: My older Nook Color for a friend's just-purchased Kindle Fire. And I'm loving ...

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bolsa
  • 1 Post By judpma

Thread: Why I Won't Root My Kindle fire

Member #

Why I Won't Root My Kindle fire

As I posted elsewhere, I got my Fire in a straight swap: My older Nook Color for a friend's just-purchased Kindle Fire. And I'm loving it. When I got it, my friend had already rooted it. I played around with it and then decided to restore to factory settings....and have no desire to root it again. Here are my reasons to not root my Kindle Fire:

1) When I keep my Fire on the "Apps" page (rather than the carousel page), this looks snazzier than the best home screen / launcher that Android has to offer. I have no need or want of any other starting page.
    2) It was annoying having to take that extra step, from the Android launcher, to get to the default Fire screen.
    3) The Android Market is not such a big draw....since I now have access, not just to the Amazing Appstore, but also easy access to the GetJar, iMobile, and Slide app stores. There are very, very few apps that I want that I can't get that way (and about the same number that even the Android Market would not let me have when I had my Nook Color rooted). For instance, I'm not rooted, yet have the Nook for Android app.....thanks to the GetJar app store.
    4) Really don't want to deal with the headaches that might come every time Amazon issues an update. ("Will it break root or won't it?")

Bottom line: Amazon did a great job of giving me a device that I love, even without rooting it....unlike the Nook Color, which was far more limited without root access.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    From what I have read about rooting, that is a course of action I don't see me engaging in, at least for a very long time. Unless I see some reason for me to do so, I don't plan on messing with any of my devices. So far I have not been able to see a reason for me to do so. When I do, I will make certain that I can afford the consequences should I run into any problems. A good thing that my devices so far have kept me satisfied with their out of the box capabilities.

Member #
    I rooted my daughters coby tablet before I ever gave it to her for her birthday. It was a fun experience and has helped me understand my android devices better....I haven't rooted my Kindle or my Atrix phone because I don't need to yet...

I have however, sideloaded all the google apps I like to my kindle including go launcher ex to get rid of that cheesy apple like launcher the fire uses as default. I used my wife's as a test dummy to see if I could get the normal android experience before I bought mine. Once proven out I went ahead and bought the kindle, other than two or three shortcomings in the memory department it's a pretty good device as is from the factory.

I only have 5 home screens at this moment, and one of those is a test screen for new apps or widgets I decide to load and use. Widgets don't scale that well with the fire but they're still pretty good considering there's no options for them with the stock kindle setup.

Box, Astro, and Easy installer will get 90% of what the common user wants accomplished when it comes to adding apps.

I like this little tablet and amazon tried to woman proof it with their launcher and limiting it to the amazon market, I can understand that. However.com I've taken it and made it my own without rooting it, someday I may decide to become a superuser and if I do I already have all the tools on my laptop to accomplish that.

Now to find a quick and simple way to ditch those goofy stock backgrounds...without rooting. (I haven't looked into that yet.)
    Last edited by ritepath; 01-10-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    >>> Why I Won't Root My Kindle fire <<<

Two things:
    - I dont know how to do it.
    - If it ain't break then don't fix it .
    iamajim likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ritepath View Post
    and amazon tried to woman proof it with their launcher and limiting it to the amazon market, I can understand that.
    Um - what does that even mean?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    ReaderRich.......I'm with you!......people look down on you for, heaven forbid, ....Not Rooting as if your Fire like will no longer work......I'm stock and the KF does everything I want it to do and I' happy!!!!!
    Hawaiian Princess likes this.

Member #
    I seem to be able to sideload the things that work well (Dolphin) without rooting. From a look at the xda dev forums, the things you can only if you root (install Ubuntu, for example) are not things I need or want to do.

Member #
    I really don't see a reason to root my Fire. For me there's no need. My Galaxy SII is rooted so the apps I want that Amazon doesn't carry I just get from my phone and sideload.

When I got the KF I figured I was getting an Android based, touch screen driven Kindle e-reader with a few extras. All my books from my Kindle DX are there (some on the KF, some still in the cloud).

In other words, I didn't really intend for the Kindle Fire to be an Android tablet. If I wanted an Android tablet I would have gotten a one

Mike.

DBSTalk, Camera3, KindleBoards, SCWF
    ASME - NRTC - C&WMM - 6EQUJ5 WOW! - BOINC; LHC@home/Team USA, Seti@home/Team USA, Einstein@home, Milkyway@home
    Since it costs 2.4 to produce a penny, my 2 worth is really 4.8 worth.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cegabq View Post
    Um - what does that even mean?
    I shouldn't have said it like that....I was mainly thinking of the girls here at work and the fact that most are intimidated by or have been bitten by androids apps that didn't work right, they like the idiot proof stuff like Iphones and this masked version of android.

For me I hate being told I have to use whatever is in the box exactly like it come out of the box. I like to modify and make things mine...be it my jeep, pc's, phones, guns or in this case a quasi tablet reader internet thing. I didn't buy this thing as an Ereader, I bought it because I could turn it into a tablet like device.
    Last edited by ritepath; 01-11-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Member #
    what are the benefits to rooting it?
    where can i find more info on it?

Ads