Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

KF Review from an iPad Owner

This is a discussion on KF Review from an iPad Owner within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Nice write-up JSH1120. I also sometimes try to get the Ipad from my wife as I get frusterated with the KF while viewing web pages....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: KF Review from an iPad Owner

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Nice write-up JSH1120. I also sometimes try to get the Ipad from my wife as I get frusterated with the KF while viewing web pages.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sstuner View Post
    Nice write-up JSH1120. I also sometimes try to get the Ipad from my wife as I get frusterated with the KF while viewing web pages.
    Interesting. I think it's probably "new gadget syndrome" but I've found myself neglecting the iPad in favor of the KF lately. I agree that the 7" form factor of the KF is somewhat problematic for web browsing. I think Apple hit the sweet spot with the iPad's screen size. Just large enough to handle web pages well without sacrificing portability completely. On the other hand, the KF is infinitely better than my smartphone for web viewing and almost as portable. And that's probably a fairer comparison.

All in all I'm more and more impressed with the KF considering its price point. And to my surprise my wife hasn't found the absence of an e-ink display to be a dealbreaker. She is finding the KF a delight. Of course, I make sure that it's charged regularly, a task my wife hardly had to worry about with her third generation Kindle. No gettin' around physics, I'm afraid.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    Interesting. I think it's probably "new gadget syndrome" but I've found myself neglecting the iPad in favor of the KF lately. I agree that the 7" form factor of the KF is somewhat problematic for web browsing. I think Apple hit the sweet spot with the iPad's screen size. Just large enough to handle web pages well without sacrificing portability completely. On the other hand, the KF is infinitely better than my smartphone for web viewing and almost as portable. And that's probably a fairer comparison.

All in all I'm more and more impressed with the KF considering its price point. And to my surprise my wife hasn't found the absence of an e-ink display to be a dealbreaker. She is finding the KF a delight. Of course, I make sure that it's charged regularly, a task my wife hardly had to worry about with her third generation Kindle. No gettin' around physics, I'm afraid.
    What I have found is having the smaller size with the ability to do many of the tasks I used to do on a larger screen has been why my tablet usage has dropped. Not that anything is better or worse, just more convenient.
    My daughter is more like you in that she prefers her Fire to her phone, moms iPad and her laptop for regular usage but each still has its reason for not collecting dust just yet.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    This is an excellent review by someone who knows their technology, and truly appreciated. I have to agree with the favorable review. Me personally, the Kindle Fire fits my needs perfectly as a tablet. I love watching movies on it, reading books, playing games, surfing the web, emails. It does everything I need. I'm not a student, nor do I need it for professional reasons, so it's exactly the tablet I wanted. Plus I have Amazon Prime, and I like the perks.

I remember watching "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" on it, my first movie I loaded on it, and was blown away by the quality if the Kindle Fire. I have since watched the whole season 2 of "The Walking Dead", and I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed the experience. You really get an incredible amount of abilities for such a reasonable price.

I will have no problem taking my Kindle Fire on Business trips or Vacations, and have it as my laptop replacement. Can it do EVERYTHING my laptop can do ? No, but I don't need all of my laptop's abailities when I'm away from home. I just need to access email, watch movies, read books, and surf the web. The Kindle Fire does an excellent job of all of those tasks.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Another nice...unanticipated....feature is that typing on the pop-up keyboard is enough of a PITA that you only answer the email you really need to. And the answers are as brief as possible!

:-)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hartshwk View Post
    Another nice...unanticipated....feature is that typing on the pop-up keyboard is enough of a PITA that you only answer the email you really need to. And the answers are as brief as possible!

:-)
    I disagree with this. I have no problem typing emails with the Kindle Fire keyboard. I hold it in portrait mode and have no problem typing long emails. Hell, the keyboard is way bigger than my iPhone keyboard, and I type plenty on that. To each their own I guess.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
    I disagree with this. I have no problem typing emails with the Kindle Fire keyboard. I hold it in portrait mode and have no problem typing long emails. Hell, the keyboard is way bigger than my iPhone keyboard, and I type plenty on that. To each their own I guess.
    +1. Same experience here, no problem whatsoever -- I find the keyboard more than adequate.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    +1. Same experience here, no problem whatsoever -- I find the keyboard more than adequate.
    Any negativity in my comment was really directed at EMail...not really at the KF. I have enjoyed the KF quite a bit.

Member #
    This is a good review for a KF from someone who owns an iPad. There is no brand bashing and the review's content is honest. He pointed out the pros and cons of both iPad and Kindle. Yes, iPad and Kindle are two different products that have different functions. But, they also have similarities in one way or another making anyone (either a member of the forum or not) compare these two tablets. Nonetheless, iPad is a revolutionary product of Apple that focuses on being a cross between a smartphone and laptop, while the Kindle is a great product of Amazon that functions mainly as an e-reader with added benefits of a tablet.

Just my two cents.
    ColcaSac

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    A month later and some additional points after using the KF more extensively.

() The infamous misplaced on/off switch turned out to be no issue, at all. Put a Marware Leather case on the KF and a tab that holds the KF in place in effect "guards" the switch from accidental activation and "guides" the finger to the switch in the dark. I've never once had a problem turning it on and off accidentally.

() Like other small devices, managing battery life requires some care. The battery drain from constant wifi access and a bright screen while watching movies turns a usual 6 or more hours of running without recharging into about 3 hours. Adding a wifi on/off app that's easy to toggle and adding a screen dimmer app that enables independent fine tuning of brightness and contrast helps as well. I usually keep the KF plugged into a power source when I'm not using it and my wife plugs it in when she goes to sleep after reading at night so the battery life is really quite acceptable.

() 4G/LTE access via Verizon Mobile Hotspot. Had a 26 hour power outage here in the Seattle area and the KF and iPad were our major links to the outside world. The hotspot worked more or less flawlessly (some minor hiccups connecting the KF if another device was already on the wifi but nothing that cycling the hotspot didn't cure.) Highly recommended, but 4G/LTE access burns up both battery in the hotspot and data plan very quickly if you use it for watching movies. I wouldn't want to rely upon it (even with a 5 gig ceiling) for more than a few days a month without limiting the activities severely.

() ScrenDim. Great little app for reading if the backlighting is still too bright for you. Saves battery (as noted above) and also provides a close to e-ink experience.

() Browsers. Can't discern much, if any, difference in "silk" browser performance between accelerated and non-accelerated modes. Tried various other browsers. Not a browser snob so I don't see much difference among them but others may disagree.

() Sideloading. Easy to set up and download non-Amazon apk's. (What a difference compared to the iPad.) Frankly, though, I haven't found any apps that I "must have" outside the Amazon app store. Thought I might prefer a more "android" launcher (i.e. GoLauncher) but actually found I'd adjusted to the damn carousel. Overall, not having to worry about managing non-Amazon apps was a bigger benefit than the benefits of the apps. If I were trying to use the KF for requirements like content creation I might try one of the other keyboards, for example, but I'm not. Too many other options in the household. I like the stock KF and the stock apps. No worries, no management.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links