Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Confused abou WiFi?

This is a discussion on Confused abou WiFi? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; NOT fully understanding everything High Tech when I was researching whether to purchase the KF or the B&N Tab and studying the various features offered ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Confused abou WiFi?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Confused abou WiFi?

NOT fully understanding everything High Tech when I was researching whether to purchase the KF or the B&N Tab and studying the various features offered by both; when they said they were both WiFi [I believe the Tab added 3G also ??]..........to me they made it sound like since they are WiFi anyone - anywhere could
    just take one out of the box, turn it on, and WALA, it would "magically" seek and find a Source via WiFi ad ALL would be downloaded and you would be off and running. Well I am finding out that it is NOT what I was thinking. I thought, from what they were describing as kind of AUTOMATIC that this WiFi must be related to Cell Towers and signals emanating from them and this KF Tablet will set it self up as simply as my Cell Phone did. I was fortunate that when initially when I was trying to get my KF operational and did not have any AUTO WiFi Connect UP....I NEEDED a Pass Word....did not for the life of me know what I was going to do....then, Thank God, I remembered the fella that installed my DSL modem saying something about the numbers on the bottom of the modem.....figured it would be worth a try, saw one was listed as WEP, and remembered something described with WEP, typed it in and WALA I was off and into The CLOUD.
    I was thinking after that like - WOW! This little KF is working Internet, EMail and ALL as fast or faster than my more powerful desktop and I don't even have to pay a monthly FEE for these services like I do now.........WHY can't I make my 'puter run off WiFi like this KF and do away with my expesnive monthly charges for Interenet etc.
    Now I am realizing that I definitely "missed" something.........this can not be done.....that the WiFi that the KF receives is dependent on this 'puter that I am right now typeing on..............BUT this MUST mean that IF I or anyone was to buy one of these WiFi operated Tablets and did NOT have your own 'puter with modem/router I guess you'd be SOL as far as using a KF at your home - RIGHT?
    Can someone PLEASE make clear to me and possibly others, not os high tech, what it is, concerning this WiFi and difference from Cell Phone signals etc. And when I see, lately alot, electronics stores selling those USB WiFi Adapters - are they for people w/o modems w WEP numbers or something? WHAT exactly or WHY would you use one of those?

TKS michael

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    It would be easier to show a picture, but basically yes you need wifi of some sort to use the tablets.
    Wifi is a wireless signal that is mostly used for internet access but there are other uses I'll just skip for now.
    What it sounds like you have at home is a wifi router that takes your incoming dsl signal and sends it out as wifi from your router.
    Some phones can have what is commonly called a "hotpspot" which turns the incoming cellular signal into an outgoing wifi signal that you can use your tablet for.
    You can also buy what is commonly called a "mifi" which is a device specifically for turning incoming cellular signal into outgoing wifi.
    The usb wifi adapter you ask about is for hooking your computer to your wifi router instead of using a physical cord. I have done what some call a "back door" method where I installed a wifi router to my dsl modem via a corded ( from my dsl modem) desktop then unlplugged the cord and installed a wifi adaptor. This works fine unless my computer or modem forgets the settings every now and then and I have to hook the cord back up and reset the settings, unhook the cord.
    Hope that helps and I've kept the terms as generic as possible. Again it would be easier to draw a map of how the signal moves between point a and point b via various mehtods

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Sent from this Galaxy via Blue Tapatalk
    iamdone likes this.

Member #
    Just to add a couple of notes. Cell phone signals are GSM, WiMax, CDMA, LTE, etc. As mention a smartphone has a WiFi "hotspot" feature where it broadcasts WiFI, i.e. 802.11 (A, B, G or N which are different flavors or rated speeds of the device). Most home routers support ethernet as well as wifi connectivity. Make sure on your router that you do have some type of encription turned on, i.e. WEP2, etc. Going back to your orginal post you do need that home router and an Internet provider. Out in the public lots of places have free wifi (McDonalds, Starbucks, etc). So if you have your KF while out and about it will see those open/free signals and you can connect. If you tap the wifi signal at the top of the display the drop down will show where your are connect as well as any other signals it detects. Those with the lock symbol require a password to access (I hope your connection does). So no, somebody does not have to have a PC, just the Internet Service Provider and the router/wifi capability. The USB connectors are for a PC that does not have a built-in wifi receiver. Hope this helps.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    THANKS fellas for helping me to more clearly understand this confusion I have been dealing with ..... I knew it was too GOOD to be true and just could'nt be .... after I saw how GREAT this little KF delivers via WiFi all I really need and receive presently via an Internet Provider I started thinking is there someway I can go FULL WiFi and then drop my present Phone/Internet Provider and just use a Cell Phone......receive Internet via WiFi for FREE.
    My present Cell Phone is Bluetooth [does not do me any good]. BUT today I was reviewing a Samsung T528G Cell Phone which is a Touch Screen 3"; 3G; WiFi product. I guess IF I had one of those it would not make a difference as far as what I would LOVE to do.......DROP having to pay so much for Internet and Phone service.

TKS michael

Member #
    Both the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet are WiFi devices. Neither has 3G or other cell phone circuitry.

To use WiFi you need to be near a hotspot that allows you to access it. If you are you can connect to the internet and, if the bandwidth is sufficient, stream videos and download.

If you aren't near an accessible hotspot then you can't connect either tablet to the internet. You can only use what's on board the tablet.

While there are a lot of differences in the two devices they're similar in their ability to connect to the internet. I think the Kindle Fire is the clear winner in terms of available content. The Nook Tablet is probably the better hardware. I say "probably" because I haven't used a Nook Tablet, I've only read about it. I do have a Nook Color and a Kindle Fire.

Barry

Member #
    Orbeav, any smartphone you get to enable the hotspot capability cost extra, not included in your normal data package. Also any new
    phone you are getting should be LTE 4G, since that is the direction the industry is going.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

emachines and Linksys e1200 router

I am also new to wifi. I have an emachines EL1850-01e computer. Can I connect wirelessly to my Kindle Fire with a wifi usb adapter? I have a Linksys e1200 router and have tried to set it up many times without any success. Is the wifi usb adapter the right way to go? Can I get a good one without it being too expensive?

I got the kindle fire for $200 but with all the extra things I have to buy I think it will cost close to $300? Maybe the kindle fire is not that much cheaper than the ipad after all? I hope someone can help me. Thanks.
    Larry5 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The usb adapted is not required for your KF - even if you had one there is no usb port you can use. Wifi is built in. If you tap the gear in the upper right corner of the KF screen then tap the wifi icon turn networking ON - if it isn't already. In the window you should see any Sicily sites within range - assuming yuor routed is on and is a wireless with the radio on you should see yours listed - and as someone else said a lock Icon. If you tap the one that is yours you should be able to put in your passcode and any other info requested. If you don't see your router the rf may be off or you have your ssid set to not transmit it. If you all that is not off and your passcode won't work you may have Mac filtering turned - this feature only allows devices on your network only if you put there Mac addresses in a table more secure since it keeps intruders out. You may need to refer to your routed User manual.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Is it the router you have tried to set up many times without success? The data connection should go from line to your modem (cable or dsl), then to your router, then from your router to your computer. You may not have your router in the correct position. Check your manual or call your ISP tech-support.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Firewood View Post
    I am also new to wifi. I have an emachines EL1850-01e computer. Can I connect wirelessly to my Kindle Fire with a wifi usb adapter? I have a Linksys e1200 router and have tried to set it up many times without any success. Is the wifi usb adapter the right way to go? Can I get a good one without it being too expensive?

I got the kindle fire for $200 but with all the extra things I have to buy I think it will cost close to $300? Maybe the kindle fire is not that much cheaper than the ipad after all? I hope someone can help me. Thanks.

Once your router is set up to your desktop (router should have detailed instructions) go to settings on your Fire, tap wifi, the networks available will show up, choose and tap your network that you've set up and type in the password you set up on your network. In a few seconds it should connect and you are good to go.
    Fwiw, you'd have to do the same thing for an iPad or buy a data capable one AND buy data each month on top of the extra cost of the iPad.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post
    Last edited by mountainbikermark; 03-19-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links