Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Confused abou WiFi?

This is a discussion on Confused abou WiFi? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Originally Posted by hartshwk Is it the router you have tried to set up many times without success? The data connection should go from line ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Confused abou WiFi?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Router works as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by hartshwk View Post
    Is it the router you have tried to set up many times without success? The data connection should go from line to your modem (cable or dsl), then to your router, then from your router to your computer. You may not have your router in the correct position. Check your manual or call your ISP tech-support.
    The modem connected to the computer works ok. When I connect the modem to the router and then to the computer I get no internet icon. I get a box with a red x in it. No data is going through as far as I can tell.

If I don't need a usb adapter what else do I need? I can see wifi networks in the kindle, but those are password protected and belong to neighbors I guess. There are no free or open wifi connections around me.

I bought the router so that I can get my internet connection going wirelessly to my kindle, but so far I can't do that yet. I can only use my kindle with the micro cable connected to the pc.

What is the router's correct position? I connected it the way the cd said and it only has 2 buttons. One is a reset button on the bottom and the other is the wifi protected set up button on the back. I have pressed both. It has 4 usb ports and I plugged the computer in the first port. As far as I know that's the way its supposed to be set up.

The reviews said easy set up, but it is still confusing for people new to routers and wifi. Thanks for the input. I hope to be connected this week if possible.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    You should have the cable from your modem connected to the port marked "Internet". The computer should be connected via cable to any of the ports marked "Ethernet" 1,2,3,4. Make sure the power adapter is plugged in correctly and the light next to the power connector is on. If you have the system wired that way and you can't access the internet from your computer then you have either a bad cable or the router may be defective. Do you have another cable you can try? You need to make sure that your computer cabled to the router works before even thinking about using the wifi for your Kindle. Have you tried contacting Linksys tech support?

On the back of your computer, where the cable from the router plugs in, there should be 2 lights. One should be lit all the time, the other should blink when data is being transferred. Are either of those lights lit?
    Last edited by strollin; 03-20-2012 at 05:19 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Completely agree with what Strollin was saying above. The good news from what you are saying is that there is nothing wrong with your Fire. The issue is definitely with your router, either with the way you have it set up or a defective unit. The tech-support for your internet provider may also be able to talk you through the setup on the phone. I consider myself pretty tech savy, one of the ways I got tech savy was by calling tech-support when I couldn't figure something out :-)

edit: I checked out your router online, it looks like a pretty good unit, once you get it running you should have no problems. Just for clarification, the ports on the router that you are referring to as USB ports are actually ethernet ports, they look essentially like a big phone jack. According to the picture the input from the modem is labeled 'internet' just as Strollin said.
    Last edited by hartshwk; 03-20-2012 at 06:01 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The router and cable were both checked out. They are working fine. All the lights are working too. The router just can't connect to the internet with the modem connected. The modem connected alone works just fine. I heard that the emachines 1850-01e can't work with wifi. Is this true?

Is there a way around this? Will a usb wifi adapter work? There are other devices that work with wifi without a computer. Is there a wifi box or adapter I can buy that can work with my kindle fire without using my computer, which is a pain in the butt?

At Best Buy they have wifi boxes that are used to stream video and music to hdtv and it does not mention that a computer is needed. All I want is an internet signal that can be streamed by wifi to my kindle. Does anyone know how to fix the problem? Does anyone have a tablet that uses wifi without a computer?

Why is wifi so difficult to set up?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Firewood, you emachines computer is not wifi capable, that is why it needs to be connected via cable to your router. Your computer is not part of the link between the internet and the Fire. Your ISP provides service, usually either over coax (TV)cable or DSL to your modem which translates it to a protocol (ethernet usually) that is compatible with your computer via a wire that looks like a thick telephone wire.

edit: ....unless you are using a dial-up service and a phone modem that is connecting to your computer via a usb or a serial port. (in which case you would need to get a broadband internet service over either cable or dsl

If you connect a WIFI router, which is what you have according to your previous post, the router will take the ethernet data from the modem (which is your internet content) and distributes it through the 4 ethernet ports on the back and also via a WIFI radio signal. Your Fire should receive this WIFI radio signal just fine. To get the signal to your computer you need to connect the computer directly to the router from one of the four ports on the router to the same port on your computer that you were previously connecting to the Modem.

It just occurred to me that ethernet cables and phone cables do actually look very similar and in fact a phone jack may actually connect to an ethernet jack. The phone cable however only has 4 wires and 4 contacts in the jack and the ethernet cable uses a jack with 6 contacts, make sure you are using an actual ethernet cable to connect your router to your computer.

If you call your Internet Service Provider (ISP) tech support and tell them that you have bought a Kindle Fire and a Router they will talk you through the entire hook up process on the phone. This last line is the most important part of this post.
    Last edited by hartshwk; 03-23-2012 at 07:54 AM.
    jsh1120 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Firewood View Post
    The router and cable were both checked out. They are working fine. All the lights are working too. The router just can't connect to the internet with the modem connected. The modem connected alone works just fine. I heard that the emachines 1850-01e can't work with wifi. Is this true?

Is there a way around this? Will a usb wifi adapter work? There are other devices that work with wifi without a computer. Is there a wifi box or adapter I can buy that can work with my kindle fire without using my computer, which is a pain in the butt?

At Best Buy they have wifi boxes that are used to stream video and music to hdtv and it does not mention that a computer is needed. All I want is an internet signal that can be streamed by wifi to my kindle. Does anyone know how to fix the problem? Does anyone have a tablet that uses wifi without a computer?

I think you are confusing how it works.
    I'll start from scratch. From your Internet incoming, connect to your modem, then from the modem to the wife router, then from the router to the emachine, then insert the cd that came with your router into your emachine and follow network setup instructions.
    Once you've set up a network on the emachine, go to your Fire and input the network name and password you set up on your emachine, it SHOULD connect in a few seconds.
    Your desktop is not needed in the loop after you've set up your network, it is merely where you set the network up at.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this TapaTalk post

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Firewood View Post

You say "The router and cable were both checked out. They are working fine." but you need 2 cables, 1 from the modem to the router and another from the router to your eMachine. If everything is cabled correctly, there shouldn't be any setup needed for your eMachine to have internet access and for it to be able to access the router. As I said before, you need to get this part working before you can proceed to setting up your wifi by defining your network name (also called SSID) and password. It really isn't difficult, not sure why you are having such difficulty.

My sister bought a router and set it up herself by just reading the instructions that came with the router and she isn't very technically savvy.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Firewood, can you supply the manufacturer and model number of your modem? Are you sure you have a broadband connection? Who is your internet service provider?

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Firewood, you poor soul. You're not alone in finding all this very confusing. The stuff that Hartshwk, strollin, and MountainBikeMark have posted should get your through this. (And you'll feel very accomplished once it happens. ) I'd only add one elementary point that may have gotten lost in this discussion.

Remember that your modem connects your house to the internet, either through a broadband connection of some sort or via a dialup telephone connection. The modem can then be connected directly to your computer via a wire and your computer can access the internet.

The Router can also connect to the modem and "distribute" the signal from the modem to multiple devices. It can "pass through" the signal from the modem to your computer via a wire AND it can probably do the same with several other hardwired devices (i.e. other computers) by "splitting" the incoming data from the internet to multiple devices and aggregating uploaded data from those devices. It's nothing more than a distribution device.

But the real magic of the router is that in addition, it can broadcast a wifi radio signal to devices (like the KF but not like your computer) so that no wired connection to the router is necessary. Those devices, like the KF, need a radio receiver built-in to receive that signal. Going the other way, your KF broadcasts a signal to the router so your input can be sent to the modem and then to the internet. So, in essence, what's going on here is that you're substituting a radio signal for the hard wire that connects your computer to the router. That's all it amounts to. But as another post above points out, in order to set up this daisy chain of devices, you need your computer to configure the network. Once that is done, your computer and your KF should both be able to connect to the internet via their own paths (computer via a cable and KF via the wifi radio.)
    Last edited by jsh1120; 03-23-2012 at 06:21 PM.
    flathat likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    Once that is done, your computer and your KF should both be able to connect to the internet via their own paths (computer via a cable and KF via the wifi radio.)
    Yes. One day that miracle will happen!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links