Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cheapest Way to Tether Kindle Fire/Smartphone Plans

This is a discussion on Cheapest Way to Tether Kindle Fire/Smartphone Plans within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I have a kindle fire hd 2nd generation. Its wifi only and i wanted to get internet at all times. I do not own a ...

Member #

Question Cheapest Way to Tether Kindle Fire/Smartphone Plans

I have a kindle fire hd 2nd generation. Its wifi only and i wanted to get internet at all times. I do not own a smartphone or any phone for that matter....and have been trying to sort through all this mobile hotspot stuff. So i hit up verizon and bought a verizon jetpack. It cost me 85$ for the device, which i will receive 50$ back after a mail in rebate. Then it costs 50$ per month for 5gb of data.

Originally I wanted to buy a phone, but it was going to cost over 100$ for just two gigs of data and I wanted to tether my kindle to it. But, the reason why the smartphone plan is ending up so expensive is b/c of verizons share everything plan. it is 40/month for the phone, then 60 for 2gb of data.

So i still am debating whether i want a smartphone or not. I was thinking there must be a way to get verizons data only plan, and then tether my kindle in an "illegal" way. So i would not have to pay an extra 40 for the device under the share everything plan How would one go about doing this? Is this even possible? If it were possible, would I have to root the phone or the kindle? I am new to smartphones, but pretty good with computers, so i am sure i would figure it out....but I dont want to void any warranties. I am not sure if i could turn my smartphone into a hotspot with verizon under a data only plan. Does anyone know? AAnd what the hell is a good phone to buy? I wanted to buy the Lg G2 but i have been reading it doesnt work as a hotspot wirth the kindle.

I dont know.....does anyone have any ideas? I mean is there a cheaper way to do all this? Like go through another company instead of verizon? But then u have to buy a phone outright.....right? Where would i find an unlimited data plan. I thought everything was unlimited now, for like 100 a month...but boy was i wrong lol. Well thanks in advance!

Member #

Straight Talk

Straight talk which is sold at Walmart is a Verizon reseller. They offer unlimited talk and text as well as 2.5 GB of data for $45/month. Welcome to Straight Talk

You would still need to root your phone as far as I know (Verizon would require rooting, not for sure about straight talk) which WILL void your warranty under most circumstances. Some root techniques allow you to "roll back" to factory original. A good place to begin learning about rooting is Android Development and Hacking - xda-developers. XDA has a very active user base that will try their best to help you with questions and problems you run into as long as you do the research, read the applicable forums and don't ask questions that have already been answered numerous times.

Good luck.

Member #
    I'm not familiar with Verizon's policies on tethering but I can confirm I recently tethered my HTC One on Sprint to kids Kindle Fire HDX 7" which Verizon happens to offer on their network.
    Recreational Warehouse when I'm not sitting in front of a screen

Member #
    The best thing to do is purchase a magic jack. You have a home based computer attached to the internet?, plug the magic jack into your computer via a usb slot. Register the magic jack, get your number, then on your kindle go to the Google play store and download the magic jack app, they don't have it on Amazon.

Sync it to your kindle , you'll have the cost of the magic jack, if you purchase the number for 5 years it will only run you $19.95 per year to make and receive calls through your kindle. Works great! Anyplace you can hit Wi-fi you can place and receive calls if they don't have their voice over ip shut off, and most don't.

You can leave your magic jack device attached to the internet , it has a plug in for a "wired phone" or you can attach a cordless phone, or put it back in the box, once programmed it does not have to be attached to the internet for your kindle to function as a phone.

If you don't answer, you can forward your incoming call to your home phone number or simply let it go to your voice mailbox, included. Hope it helps. Mrwatchmaker@yahoo.com

Member #
    I have Comcast or AT&T internet service available to me and the quality of the line varies during the day. I am not sure if it is overall aggregate usage in the area but Magic Jack sometimes gets choppy. Latency and jitter issues could not be controlled. It could be Magic Jack's servers too. Magic Jack was convenient but it was embarrassing at times to have crappy phone service. I also tried Comcast Voice over IP service which has been a lot better but at times has problems too. I bought a Tmobile cellspot 3g/4g/signal booster and it seems to be working better for me than the voice network solutions. Time will tell.

As for the tablet data plans, I found T-mobile's tablet plan works pretty good for me. I can leave the tablet in 4G mode 24/7 and it does not use much data throughout the day when not being used. It's so efficient I just keep it in 4G mode all the time. The tablet is a $10 add-on to my phone plan and has a 5GB data limit but as with most T-mobile data plans when I hit 5 GB it still works just at a ridiculously slow speed. When in slow speed mode Email access is still great on this device, however, web pages you have to load one at a time and it is slow. But, it works for me. Good luck on your search.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links