Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Book download

This is a discussion on Book download within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Having trouble getting Kindle format books from non Amazon source (Gutenburg in this case). Download proceeds OK but then Fire will apparently not recognize the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ramer

Thread: Book download

Member #

Book download

Having trouble getting Kindle format books from non Amazon source (Gutenburg in this case). Download proceeds OK but then Fire will apparently not recognize the file type. What am I missing?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You probably need to convert them to the format that Kindle recognizes which is .mobi. Calibre works great for this purpose and you can transfer them from your PC to the Fire with a USB cable. You can find Calibre here.
    Gwantoro likes this.

Member #
    When you download a file from the web, it goes into the download directory. I think that the book you downloaded needs to be moved from the download directory to your Books directory. ES File Manager is the program I use to manage my files and it works well.

After you move the file to your Books directory, you need to shut down the Fire and then restart it. Then the book you downloaded will show up either in your Books section OR you Documents section depending on the exact formatting that was used when it was made.

Hope that helps some. I do hope that they make it easier to get books into the Fire from sources other than Amazon itself. I'm not holding my breath, but at least it is possible for now.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links