Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Most impressive feature of the Kindle Fire?

This is a discussion on Most impressive feature of the Kindle Fire? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Heh! What he said! @Cale_kat But your are correct! Those features are available to me, and even more on my A500, which wasn't much more ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Most impressive feature of the Kindle Fire?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Heh! What he said!
    @Cale_kat But your are correct! Those features are available to me, and even more on my A500, which wasn't much more expensive than the A100 (maybe $50 difference after gift cards). What I discovered, was that I use these tablets to consume content, not produce it. When I bought the Nook Color with the sole intention to hack it, I was totally hooked after getting real Market, Netflix, and most of my 'daily use' apps running on it. Still, it wasn't quite as smooth running video as I'd hoped (there have since been more improvements), and the introduction of the A500, and it's pricepoint represented a viable upgrade from the NC. Again, the Xoom was not positioned for success based on it's price-to-feature ratio, or value, in my opinion. The Acer is/was. After using the A500...I became drawn back to the slim form factor of the NC. I still use the A500, but it is truly far less portable than the Nook or A100. I simply adore the smaller form factor, as a perfect balance of screen real estate, weight, featureset, and portability. Those features you mention are SURELY worth the extra $125, I agree, but the truth also holds that as a consumption device, the Fire may be better designed and engineered for what I mainly use the tablets for..content. The prospect of pwning it, hopefully soon, is a comfortable fallback, if I do decide it's not meeting my needs, but I think it will, and I'll end up rooting 'just because I can'.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Don't get me wrong, I can see the appeal of rooting. Which is exactly what I did to my Virgin Mobile Samsung Intercept. That "project" seemed worthwhile because as an admittedly pathetic amateur, I considered the chance to move from Eclair to Froyo a reasonable risk because the phone was so cheap and didn't have a contract. While I managed to avoid "bricking" the phone, I lost some functionality and it wasn't long before I was looking for a way to move to a more stable "sanctioned" platform.

The experience taught me a couple things; 1) most rooting projects are works in progress and require considerable patience from the person that roots and 2) that the SPH-M910 really was a horrible phone. :-)

The KF seems to have the guts of a good Honeycomb or ICS tablet and access to Market seems worthwhile on some levels but the challenge of putting it into this form appears more interesting that actually owning a rooted-KF. The KF specs seem drawn so closely to the "mission" Amazon created for it that I'm doubtful that it would be very satisfying mod as compared, for instance, to a more feature-rich platform like those offered by Acer.

I picked up a refurbished Nook Color a couple weeks ago. But gave it to my wife so she wouldn't start bugging me for my KF when it arrives on the 17th. The KF will be my first tablet which is surprising because I'm usually a pretty early adopter of technology. Guess I'm getting old. ;-)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    After thinking about it some more, I'd have to say that having those A100's features (and not really using them much) actually helped me order the Fire. Follow my reasoning a bit: my whole goal became video and audio, because let's face it, many of us use our phones less and less to call, and more for pleasure and utility (calender, pics/gallery, productivity apps,social, Youtube/Netflix, netradio/iPod replacement,etc.). Screen real estate now becomes priority, and quickly outgrows a phone. While we still 'need' a pocketable phone, a fully-featured smartphone HAS many of these advanced features, but cannot compete on screen quality and size, compared to a tab. So we see the evolution of the first-gen tabs mimic phones, but on steroids (Dell Streak et al.). I think AMZ is doing 2 things...taking on the Nook Color for direct competition in the color ereader space, and evolving the tab towards a content consumption 'appliance' for the masses. Like so many have already said here and elsewhere, their phones are quite capable, possessing the features that the Fire lacks, and are far more portable. It would be false economy for AMZ to include these redundant features, charge more money, and take on the additional support for them, with little return...they already know they will sell them as fast as they can make them, at least for a while. I simply ask 'what took AMZ so long!?!'
    jblalock77 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    ^ That was well put.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    After thinking about it some more, I'd have to say that having those A100's features (and not really using them much) actually helped me order the Fire. ................ I simply ask 'what took AMZ so long!?!'
    You might say I took a similar approach. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" in August with a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee. There were a lot of features to like about the GT7 and my son was pretty miffed when I returned the device within the 30 days. A couple of factors prompted the return. I was not using it to its full potential (as you said "not really using them much") and a sudden price drop of $70 which I took to mean that the GT7, still within a year of introduction, had reached the end of its product cycle. I hate buying a product only to find that the software upgrade plug has been pulled and the market has moved on.

Of course, by early September, HP had gone all "firesale" and the Amazon color tab had moved from rumor to certain rumor and playing wait and see made sense.

I would like nothing more than to be in a position to rationalize the purchase of a iPad 2. Every iPad 2 owner seems so happy with their iPad. Sort of the way I felt about by 5th Gen iPod, which I still like a lot. But I couldn't rationalize the purchase, I don't want to buy apps for the sake of learning esoteric subjects (a new language, the way the human skeleton works, a 3d representation of the universe, how to play the piano, etc.). I just want to watch episodes of Dr. Who (an example) on a easy to hold devise, get this hot Dell 15" Studio with it's overpowered i7 processor off my lap and be able to switch between school studies (I'm in the midst of a career change) and reading for pleasure.

For the first time, I've bought an electronic device not because of what it runs on or its specs but because of the content it promises.

BTW I think it was a long time in coming because AMZ wanted to line up as many content providers as possible. Just yesterday they announced the addition of a few more "channels".
    Last edited by cale_kat; 10-20-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Thanks for the update.
    That decides it for me, apart from the fact that the UK will probably be charging 225 GBP for the Fire !!!!!!!!!
    As I thought, it will have to be the I-Pad for me.!!!!!!!!!!
    I have written to Amazon to find out the price and availability as I really want the Fire before Christmas.
    Response - have no idea of launch date, could be 2012. No idea of price. Cannot purchase from the USA as Amazon US will not ship outside of the USA. The US model will not support any purchases from Amazon UK.
    I think there is a huge disconnect with their marketing strategy and if they are unable to launch in the UK before xmas (and confirm it) they will have missed many thousands of opportunities.
    Me included !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Sad...

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Smart to get an answer from them before you bought. I wonder if they are having supply issues.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Portability=use

I have noticed that the people at work who own tablets, myself included, never bring them to work. I leave my Xoom at home because its a little too big for my purse and I worry about it being dropped / stolen or accidently left overnite on my desk. However I do take my Kindle with me without second thought. And that will be the appeal of the Kindle Fire. Its easy to carry, not so expensive that you worry about it and is a mini entertainment. Very clever.
    Hidef1080, cali and gbarkley like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxygenmaker View Post
    It "ain't" an Apple product!
    There is something to be said for this reason.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links