Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Most impressive feature of the Kindle Fire?

This is a discussion on Most impressive feature of the Kindle Fire? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Originally Posted by jmcclain One of the few problems with these special forums is that they are primarily frequented "techies" who seem to spend a ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Most impressive feature of the Kindle Fire?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain View Post
    One of the few problems with these special forums is that they are primarily frequented "techies" who seem to spend a great deal of time letting everyone know how much we "don't know" about the subject of discussion. I come to sites like this because they are frequented by knowledgeable folks, so I suppose I will have to grin and bare it!

Who really needs to keep the "library of congress" on a tablet with an 8 hour battery? When flying, I usually fall asleep on any flight of more 3 hours. One good movie is more than enough! After a good single malt scotch, I may fall asleep before that one is over! I have land line at home and a cellphone that I seldom use, and I have great "point and shoot" camera, so what do I need with a camera? I have an old Kindle 2 that works just fine for reading. Does anyone actually watch any movie more than once? I don't need to store them on my "high tech device".

I ordered a Fire mainly because can't bare to watch another LMN chick movie that my wife can't live without. With the Fire, I can watch what I want even when we are in the same room. (If I leave to go watch on a different TV, I am accused of being antisocial!)I can read posts on t his site or any other and still keep the family peace. I love Amazon and have been prime member for years. I do my Christmas shopping at Amazon with my house shoes on. I haven't been in a mall for years! Customer service is amazing at Amazon. Never had a late shipment!

The Silk browser sounds great! Sounds fast! I am not the least bit concerned about privacy issues. I love the buying suggestions! They got me out of trouble on more than one grandchild's birthday!

I am 71 and I still can't wait to get my Kindle Fire!
    Great comments.......and so true.
    As another "non techie" and a young sprightly 59, perhaps you can answer one question -

1. When Kindle state "web browsing" does that mean I can access the internet (e-mails) or not.?

For me this is the only issue to resolve before buying a Fire (although not being in the US probably means I will pay a lot more than $199).

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    Great comments.......and so true.
    As another "non techie" and a young sprightly 59, perhaps you can answer one question -

1. When Kindle state "web browsing" does that mean I can access the internet (e-mails) or not.?
    They already mentioned their web browser as well as an email app, so yes.

Member #
    Thanks for the update.
    That decides it for me, apart from the fact that the UK will probably be charging 225 GBP for the Fire !!!!!!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I have spent the last few weeks trying to decide on a Kindle Fire versus I-Pad.
    I probably do not have the requirements and need for the I-Pad but I am worried that 6-12 months down the line I may have made the wrong choice.
    I understand that the Kindle has web capability but does that mean I can get onto Yahoo and read/respond to mails ?
    That seems to be the only issue that I need to sort out.
    Price looks far better !!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think the price is truly the killer feature here. If you want to upgrade later on you really have much less depreciation to worry about if you want to unload the Fire for whatever the latest greatest is.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I always got the feeling that Apple was pricing the iPad high because there weren't any serious contenders to take it on. This is not to say that there aren't good Android tablets, but Apple had the feature set and image that most people, especially non-geeks, were willing to pay extra for.

I've read that Apple pays $333 for the basic iPad which they sell for $499. That profit margin gives them a lot of leeway to drop prices without having to resort to the sort of subsidized pricing that Amazon has come up with. So, when rumors circulate that Apple is developing an iPad mini, I think of a device that is similar to the existing iPad but priced to compete with the 10" Kindle Fire 2, an almost certain addition to the Kindle Fire line.

Apple has gotten a lot of marketing value from the number of apps that have been developed for the iPhone and to a lessor extent the iPad. App developers were attracted to the platform because of its strength. But app development for Android devices has already increased due to the strength of Android in the phone market and the subsidized Kindle Fire will act as a huge incentive to app developers for the Fire. Nothing gets app developers working harder than the appearance of a strong market contender with an instant high volume hit on their hands.

In the long run, the iPad will become more like the Kindle and vice versa. Amazon is not going to cede the high end of the market to Apple, there's too much profit to be made, and Apple isn't going to cede the low end of the market to Amazon because low prices will spur growth that ultimately will end Apple's market domination.

What does this mean about price being a killer feature? Simply put, the Kindle is slightly under-priced and the iPad is significantly over priced. Price isn't really a feature at all. It is merely the entry price for consumers. What the equipment brings with it are the features.

Just my $.02.

Cale
    Last edited by cale_kat; 10-19-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    For me, value is a feature.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jblalock77 View Post
    For me, value is a feature.
    Value certainly can be beneficial but how can you use it?

I hear the price mentioned over and over when the Fire is reviewed and discussed. It is never far from the top reason people consider the tablet. But if the tablet's features prove to be not good enough (on board storage is too small, the screen size isn't big enough, the lack of a GPS feature proves disappointing, etc.) then the low price will not be considered to support the value.

I'm kind of wishing I hadn't brought the subject up because I not sure it will be a productive topic for discussion. My bad.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cale_kat View Post
    I'm kind of wishing I hadn't brought the subject up because I not sure it will be a productive topic for discussion. My bad.
    No worries, cale_kat, it's important to relay what the Fire can and cannot do, with respect to other tabs, to those looking at the Fire as a suitable 'first tab'. This will be my fourth tab...and primarily because it is such a value.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    alphawave7, I'm a little confused. I read you have the Acer Iconia A100. It runs about $125 more than the KF (Newegg price) but comes with Honeycomb, forward and rear facing cameras, Nvidia graphics, microSD, micro HDMI port, bluetooth and a docking connector. Surely, these extras are worth $125.

In my mind the A100 and KF are of equal value. What makes the KF with its locked down operating system and devotion to all things Amazon such a good value to you?
    Last edited by cale_kat; 10-19-2011 at 10:05 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cale_kat View Post
    In my mind the A100 and KF are of equal value. What makes the KF with its locked down operating system and devotion to all things Amazon such a good value to you?
    It's a good value to me because I use Amazon a lot, probably more than I should. This thing will get root fast, especially since there's a contest now, and will be running HC or hopefully ICS before we know it. It's awesome to have choices and that's the thing Android gives you...but there are definitely cons by having so many choices as well.

Good tablet for those that are already Amazonians

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links