Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Most impressive feature of the Kindle Fire?

This is a discussion on Most impressive feature of the Kindle Fire? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Originally Posted by alphawave7 I don't agree that a dual-core Android tab is 'first-gen' (especially compared to the others you listed!) but that's fine. You're ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Most impressive feature of the Kindle Fire?

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    I don't agree that a dual-core Android tab is 'first-gen' (especially compared to the others you listed!) but that's fine.
    You're right, the tech used isn't first gen, except when you realize a couple of 2nd-gen Tegra3 tablets may be shipping before Christmas. I guess my point with the cheap tablets listed was that they were also first-gen (even though the tech used was last year's) and none are doing well. The Fire is Amazon's first attempt at an Android tablet/e-reader. Yes, they chose a decent processor, but they also made some naive decisions that won't be resolved until the Fire-2. 8gb memory with no microSD slot is a bad sign. They know the Nook Color is hacked via it's microSD slot and may be trying to prevent the same from happening to the Fire. 8gb with no expansion is an undershot IMO, and when users discover they'll only get 2 or 3 of their ripped DVDs on it at a time it'll lose esteem among travelers. Airport waiting areas are where I see commuters get their Kindle or iPads out to pass the time. Many will buy the Fire instead of an iPad hoping they will get the same distraction from it for 2/5 the price. While the 6gb or so of usable storage will be fine for ebooks and apps, the content this device REALLY is optimized for is video. Amazon streaming videos are fine when you have a wifi connection. At home though there are usually larger screens (PC and TV) with the ability to display video. We generally only want video on our tablets when we're NOT at home near that convenient wifi.
    LadyAngler likes this.

Member #
    For me the price and all the features combined was the selling point. I have been looking for a tablet for a while, the only thing that has been holding me back is cost. I just spent a lot of money on a very nice laptop, and what I need is a web browsing device, light, reliable and easy to use. I want to use it on the go, have some entertainment during traveling, check email while sitting on the couch, reading books, etc.

Buying an ipad or equivalent expensive device is just a waste of money for me. I don't need cameras, 32G of storage, or any other fancy features. 8gb + the cloud is more than enough IMO. I want a tablet as a secodary convenient device and blowing $500++ on it is just not justifiable in my situation.

Also, I really like the ability to obtain all kinds of content from amazon. I also looked at a few "cheap" tablets available on the market but I have a lot more confidence on putting my money on a product from amazon.

I was kind of waiting on the ASUS transformer 2 coming out in a few months and try to make a decision, but for $200 the kindle fire came at the right time for me. And it is a perfect match for my needs.

I preordered mine at a local Best Buy just 2 days ago.
    Last edited by JobsiteFish; 10-06-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Welcome to the forum.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I like the 7 inch size. The Ipad is too unwieldy. It doesn't fit well anywhere. I want to be able to hold it in one hand and type with the other.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    For what it's designed to do, I think seven inches is a perfect size.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Silk browser as a best feature. It is just possible that the Kindle Fire's web browsing speed is faster than any other wireless device regardless of price.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The Silk Browser may be the big hit, but having my web use filtered/analyzed by Amazon for any use is why I didn't mention it and won't be using my Fire for web browsing. I'm also not sure my web page load times need speeding up anyway. I haven't complained about load times for a few years now. Seems as if the currect browsers running on current PCs/Tablets are fast enough.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Data collection doesn't bother me as long as I know about it going in and have the option to opt out.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
    The Silk Browser may be the big hit, but having my web use filtered/analyzed by Amazon for any use is why I didn't mention it and won't be using my Fire for web browsing. I'm also not sure my web page load times need speeding up anyway. I haven't complained about load times for a few years now. Seems as if the currect browsers running on current PCs/Tablets are fast enough.
    I think this is a subject that has been blown completely out of proportion with its importance. Some folks will run for cover over this "analyzed" concern but I think most people will enjoy the faster browsing experience. If you opt out of browsing on your KF I think you will be missing about 50% of the "why I bought a KF" equation.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    It "ain't" an Apple product!
    Lectruck likes this.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links