Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

You need a credit card or prepaid credit card to access the App store

This is a discussion on You need a credit card or prepaid credit card to access the App store within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I went ahead and set up my kids Fires early before giving them on Christmas day. I was thrilled to find out that a credit ...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

You need a credit card or prepaid credit card to access the App store

I went ahead and set up my kids Fires early before giving them on Christmas day. I was thrilled to find out that a credit card must be used to purchase even "free" apps. I was able to find out that a Prepaid Visa/Mastercard with a US based bank can be used. The only bad part is having to pay a fee. The ones I purchased had a $3.95 fee and were the Vanilla brand. I plan on using $24 of the $25 on this card to buy gas with and adding the Amazon gift cards as originally planned.

Again the account tied to the Fire needs to have a credit card or prepaid credit card on file to download any app. There is no way around this without root/sideload.

There are going to be some mad parents on Christmas morning so I wanted to point this out ahead of time.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    as far as I can remember Amazon always used the same method

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    This is neither new or unique to Amazon and the information is easily acquired beforehand by calling Amazon's Kindle Customer Service.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The Kindle and Nook are the only devices that require a credit card to download a free app. You can do this on any other android or IOS or even RIM device without the need for a credit card.

The majority of Fire buyers are going to be new to the Amazon system other than maybe purchasing products.

Trust me this is and will continue to be the number one reason people retun the device.

I was stating the work around is the use of Prepaid credit card. Its crazy that an Amazon card will not work without a credit card

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Well i kinda prefer getting those gift cards, safer. Not saying Amazon will have a breach but sometimes we never know.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I think you could download free android apps from other sources...or download them on your credit card to a desktop and sideload them onto the kindle through the usb connector.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by hartshwk View Post
    I think you could download free android apps from other sources...or download them on your credit card to a desktop and sideload them onto the kindle through the usb connector.
    Yes this is true. I can do this but not the Fires I purchased for the kids. Sunday night this thread will explode with news users seeking a fix.

Member #
    You can also go to the local Best Buy and pick up an Amazon Kindle gift card, I'm pretty sure linking that up will suit your needs. No worry about having your CC online although I have one specific for online/Amazon purchases

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links