I discovered that the Kindle Fire I bought last week was probably 1st generation so I decided to return it and buy a Fire HDX instead. But when it came time to print out the return label, the only thing on offer was UPS. I am leery of returning anything of value via UPS, this coming from a bad experience where the item disappeared in transit - into thin air. UPS tried tracking the item but couldn't pinpoint where it was lost. Yeah, it was just "lost in transit." Also: my local UPS shop told me that you can't buy insurance if you have a preprinted label. That sounds nuts, but that's what I was told. I know I can insure a Kindle if I send it USPS. I can also track it and if it gets lost the postal inspectors will go to work and find out where it went. At the very least I can get some reimbursement from my having insured it. I went round and round with Amazon customer service and then with the Kindle dept itself, but in the end it had to be UPS. The UPS label I printed out had a ton of coded stuff and I figured that the people at the Amazon warehouse probably needed those numbers to track the return and give my account credit.

So, why bring this up? Because I've read an assortment of reviews on Amazon where reviewers have said that they returned an item that never reached its destination and because it didn't reach its destination, they were not given credit and were simply out of luck. I'm just curious if UPS was used in most of those "lost item" episodes. One more very very odd thing: the Kindle that I returned was delivered by USPS. Right: Amazon uses USPS to deliver product but I can't use it to return product. Does that make sense?