Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Has anyone tried this DVD > Kindle workaround?

This is a discussion on Has anyone tried this DVD > Kindle workaround? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I tried searching for DVD, but believe it or not the forum search won't search for that term. Go figure. Anyway, I found this tutorial ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Has anyone tried this DVD > Kindle workaround?

Member #

Lightbulb Has anyone tried this DVD > Kindle workaround?

I tried searching for DVD, but believe it or not the forum search won't search for that term. Go figure.

Anyway, I found this tutorial here:
    Convert DVD to Kindle Fire for free | Tabletorials.com

There are unofficial comments praising it, but I wanted to see if anyone here has tried it with success. I do know that the Simple Dollar has recommended Hand Brake and a TON of people have verified it to be a great piece of software, I'm just wanting to be sure that after I jump through the hoops that it'll work on KF.

Member #
    Any DVD works for me. It converts DVD movies to MP4, also i believe handbrake will work to convert any video file to MP4.

So use- Any DVD to convert DVD to MP4

Handbrake- AVI, Xvid to MP4

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I use DVD Catalyst. They're a sponsor here on the forum (their sub-forum is here) and right now so far as I'm aware they're the only company making software that will make videos that display full screen on the Kindle Fire while keeping the aspect ratio correct.
    Tablets: Kindle Fire
    Portable Media Players: Samsung Galaxy S2, Onda VX590T, Cowon J3
    Settop Media Players: WD TV Live Streamer, Xtreamer SideWinder3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
    Software: DVD Catalyst, MakeMKV

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by crowfax View Post
    I use DVD Catalyst. They're a sponsor here on the forum (their sub-forum is here) and right now so far as I'm aware they're the only company making software that will make videos that display full screen on the Kindle Fire while keeping the aspect ratio correct.
    +1 for DVD Catalyst. And the customer support is outstanding!
    crowfax likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    +1 DVD Catalyst
    crowfax likes this.
    If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?
    Albert Einstein

Cheers Charlie

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    ...or just use handbrake because it will do the same thing... for free

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by massahwahl View Post
    ...or just use handbrake because it will do the same thing... for free
    DVD Catalyst is the way to go and no comparison to Handbrake. Free = you get what you pay for.
    crowfax likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    DVD Catalyst is the way to go and no comparison to Handbrake. Free = you get what you pay for.
    So what does catalyst do that handbrake doesnt? Ive been using handbrake for years and never had any issues with quality or usage. Curious what exactly you get for your money with catalyst?

Member #

Question

Thanks all, but I'm with massahwahl. What's different?

I'm also curious about a few things on Catalyst and for the record, I'm not wanting to pirate anything, I just want to make a backup of my own purchased DVD library to watch on my Kindle when I'm away.

1. Is this a ripper or just a convertor (which it may not matter)? It looks to me like this is just a convertor. The tutorial that I pointed to has a ripper (DVDFab HD Decrypter) and then also convertor (Handbrake). For $10 I'm willing to buy it though if I know for certain it will do what I want it to do, without any intervention on my part.

2. Does it work on TV shows or rather, multiple episodes on one DVD? I've read where some rippers/convertors have issues with episodes.

3. I need to know that I can put it in my Amazon cloud too. This way my husband can watch them too on his Fire. As a nothing-you-probably-care-about-side-note-but-I'll-tell-you-anyway-thing, my husband presently lives in California while I live in Alabama. At least, this is the case until we can get our house sold (yeah, right). For now though, he has no access to our DVD library (naturally) and so clouding them is his only way of watching something.

These are questions that are not answered in their FAQ, or at least that I cannot find answers to in their FAQ, User Guide, etc. I really did look and search (also went to their forum here as mentioned by crowfax, but couldn't find them.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by magnoliasouth View Post
    1. Is this a ripper or just a convertor (which it may not matter)?
    DVD Catalyst can be considered both a ripper and converter. It can handle DVD's (encrypted or un-encrypted), Blu-ray (with the help of 3rd party software) and video files.

2. Does it work on TV shows or rather, multiple episodes on one DVD?
    Yes, one of the beat features about DVD Catalyst is the ability to do batch encoding, like TV shows for example. You can even mass re-name the output with sequential numbering. There's a short article and video on their site about TV show DVD's here: TV Show DVDs Part 1.

I need to know that I can put it in my Amazon cloud too
    So far as I know, Amazon don't support uploading your own videos to the Amazon cloud. DVD Catalyst does have an addon called the "MP4 Streaming Server" which allows you to stream movies from your PC to your Kindle inside your own network (and outside of it if you're feeling technical).
    dvdcatalyst likes this.
    Tablets: Kindle Fire
    Portable Media Players: Samsung Galaxy S2, Onda VX590T, Cowon J3
    Settop Media Players: WD TV Live Streamer, Xtreamer SideWinder3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
    Software: DVD Catalyst, MakeMKV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links