Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Kindle Fire vs. Transformer (or other android tablets)

This is a discussion on Kindle Fire vs. Transformer (or other android tablets) within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I did a search and didn't find anything related to what I wanted to ask. I'm looking at the Fire for my Wife for Christmas. ...

Member #

Kindle Fire vs. Transformer (or other android tablets)

I did a search and didn't find anything related to what I wanted to ask. I'm looking at the Fire for my Wife for Christmas. She wants a tablet mainly for browsing the internet and watching movies, and I'm positive the kindle reader will just be a bonus. Basically a replacement for the laptop as far as browsing and media consumption is concerned. At $200 this one looks hard to beat. I'm just wondering if I would be disappointed if I compared this tablet to the Asus Transformer, for example. Best buy just reduced it down to $299, so at that price I'm wondering if I will get more out of it than I would the Fire? I'm interested in rooting it and installing Custom Roms (specifically CM7, when it gets stable) So in that regard the Fire also gets my vote. Any thoughts? Of course all other android tablets are open to discussion too, I just am looking at $300 max. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Differences: Fire 7" screen, Transformer 10.1 screen". Fire has no Bluetooth, GPS, Cameras, etc., that are typical on most android tablets.

You can also access all the same media content on any other tablet as you'll be able to on the Fire. Just download Amazon's apps. I've personally become fond of the 7" size for portability and ergonomics (weight in hand) yet I'll take my Transformer with dock to work when I've got a meeting and need to take notes. Would have hauled a laptop instead last year.

My point? Apples and Beer. Two different beasts. Both foods, but for two different meals/consumers/locations/energy values, etc. My $300 bought an HTC Flyer, which is with me wherever I go. I also own a Kindle Fire. Just don't find it as useful as my Flyer.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    ALOHA welcome. Agree, two different animals. IMO it can't be compared to a tablet or laptop. If its browsing internet & mainly for reading then I say yes get the KF. Added bonus with Amazon Prime membership for $79/year for unlimited streaming movies, thousands & thousands of books to choose, really can't go wrong. But that's me...I own a Xoom, KF, and Nook Color and all has diff likings

Member #
    I have an Asus Transformer and a Kindle Fire. I use them both and like them both.

I use the Fire for watching Netflix and Amazon Prime movies and TV shows. I use both for browsing the internet and playing games. And I use the Transformer for watching videos from other sources.

I also have the keyboard dock for the Transformer. I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would but at times it's very handy.

Both work well for streaming video but I find that the Fire is really better for this. It's easier to carry around while I'm watching something. If I want to go in the other room or out on the porch in the evening and watch something I'm glad I'm using the Fire. But there are some shows which are particularly beautiful to watch, such as the British TV show Foyle's War, and the 10" screen is nicer for those than the 7" screen. On most things it doesn't matter much to me.

I'm sure you already know about the many things the Transformer has that the Fire hasn't and those have to be considered. But, except for the larger capacity, those don't mean much to me. I rarely use Bluetooth. I'm sometimes glad to have the Micro SD card in the Transformer but connecting the Fire to my computer is simpler since it uses a standard cable which is always connected to the computer anyway, so the SD card doesn't really make a lot of difference.

My suggestion is just pick the one that feels right and get it. They're both great devices and you'll be glad whichever way you go.

Barry

Member #
    Stick with the kindle it's easy to hold lightweight those 10" tabs will get tireing after awhile because the extra weight that's how I was with my iPad 2.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links