Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Can you get apps on computer without Kindle in hand?

This is a discussion on Can you get apps on computer without Kindle in hand? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I put this question in search box, but did not see a link. I have purchased 3 kindles but can't seem to download an app ...

Member #

Can you get apps on computer without Kindle in hand?

I put this question in search box, but did not see a link. I have purchased 3 kindles but can't seem to download an app file to my windows computer. Amazon asks for kindle info, which I don't have, yet. Guess I am looking for access like I have for ipad using itunes. I have a 1 click acct. etc. setup, so will I be able to buy / install Android apps to my computer, so I can sync when I receive the kindles? Anhelp appreciated, Thanks, Larry.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    If you have another Android device, then you can start getting Amazon apps. If you don't have one, maybe a friend does who will let you put your Amazon account on their device while you wait for your Fire.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    im wondering also lol

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cegabq View Post
    If you have another Android device, then you can start getting Amazon apps. If you don't have one, maybe a friend does who will let you put your Amazon account on their device while you wait for your Fire.
    I guess the key is, you have to have one to get apps. Trying to download Amazon App store App., My computer won't recognize the APK file extension, it has to be simpler for me to figure out.

Member #
    If you buy an app from the app store and don't have your Fire yet, or another Android tablet, when you get the Fire you'll be able to get the apps you bought.

You can't easily download them directly do your PC and even if you could the PC can't run them. They have to be run on an Android device with an ARM CPU. So downloading them to your PC wouldn't gain much for you.

After you buy an app from Amazon you can then download it any time and as often as you need. If Amazon ever goes out of business then you might lose them but until then they're kept in the cloud for you. And Amazon is thriving so they'll be around for a while.

Barry

Member #
    What you need to understand is that it is not the same as an iPad - you don't download apps to your computer and then sync them to the Fire. There is no equivalent to iTunes on your computer and nothing is synchronized between your PC and your Fire. Apps are downloaded directly to the Fire from the Amazon Appstore via WiFi. You only connect the Fire to a PC when you want to manually copy files over via USB.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by beboyle View Post
    What you need to understand is that it is not the same as an iPad - you don't download apps to your computer and then sync them to the Fire. There is no equivalent to iTunes on your computer and nothing is synchronized between your PC and your Fire. Apps are downloaded directly to the Fire from the Amazon Appstore via WiFi. You only connect the Fire to a PC when you want to manually copy files over via USB.
    Thanks, I was hoping not to hear that, but it is what it is. I was going to get a bunch of apps stockpiled on the computer and sync it when I got them, but that's just me, trying to work these like my ipads.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links