Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Virus protection??

This is a discussion on Virus protection?? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; So...what do we do to protect our new toys from all the evil out there, especially on public WiFi's? Anybody using an anti-virus program?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Virus protection??

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Virus protection??

So...what do we do to protect our new toys from all the evil out there, especially on public WiFi's? Anybody using an anti-virus program?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Exactly why I don't use public WiFi . I don't use any anti virus. I use my phone to get hotspot

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Yeah, thanks, good answer. Actually I posted the question from my Droid Incredible1 for pretty much the same reasons. Don't want to expose my new toy to unnesessary risk but sooner or later I will want to use public wifi. Portability was a big reason to buy it in the first place. Besides, who says wifi at home is all that safe? Just saying.
    Mahalo-JT

Member #
    The only real risk comes from loading apps from alternative sources. As long as you stick with the Amazon Appstore there isn't a vector for viruses to attack.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I wonder about this myself.

How does public wifi become an issue?
    Is it because you could be using a dummy public wifi hot spot that is really a crooks computer set up to act as a server?
    Or
    Is it that anyone can pull your transmissions down to their computer and see them as if they were watching your web pages?

I hear not to use public wifi but I would like to know how exactly it is an issue.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Anytime you go online you expose your machine to possible attack or infection; the only defense is an anti-virus
    program (yes, even from Amazon's site). I am now running Dr. Web-light on my KF and can only hope it's up to the task. Most of the reviews spoke highly of it; we'll see, at least I feel better lol. All of you, please protect yourselves.
    JT
    oldfatguy likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by iamajim View Post
    Yeah, thanks, good answer. Actually I posted the question from my Droid Incredible1 for pretty much the same reasons. Don't want to expose my new toy to unnesessary risk but sooner or later I will want to use public wifi. Portability was a big reason to buy it in the first place. Besides, who says wifi at home is all that safe? Just saying.
    Mahalo-JT
    Agree! Ppl home wifi get hacked daily. But ahhh, we are the ones to make it foolproof

Member #
    While there's always risk the saving grace is that most of the virus makers are still targeting PCs and not mobile devices. Devices like the Kindle Fire are far less at risk of viruses than are laptops and desktop computers.

That doesn't mean we're safe with our tablets. Just that we're a lot safer, at least for now.

Barry

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    if you feel the need AVG has a free anti-virus program you can download from the "Store" ..it works good and its free

Member #
    Dr. Web light antivirus crashed a few times when I installed it. So, I sideloaded lookout mobile security which is fortunately free from the android market.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads