Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Virus protection??

This is a discussion on Virus protection?? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; Virus protection maybe a good idea to have however yes it does drain the battery a lot as it continuously runs in the background. I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Virus protection??

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Virus protection maybe a good idea to have however yes it does drain the battery a lot as it continuously runs in the background. I personally do not use it on any of my Android devices. However it is a good point to just be cautious on the permissions/access we allow on our devices. When in doubt of downloading, don't do it.
    One last thing, as long as there are no bashing & name callings of any kind, this thread will remain open. If it gets too heated I will close this...just saying

Member #
    I bought Webroot for my computers and it is supposed to also protect tablets such as Kindle fire but I can't find out how to protect it. I just got my Kindle today.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    There appears to be some confusion in this thread. In the first place, public wifi networks are not problematic because of susceptibility to viruses and malware. They're problematic because it's possible for another user on the same network to view the keystrokes you enter on your device unless you use a vpn or provide some other means to encrypt your keystrokes. I generally avoid public wifi networks and use a mobile hotspot with its own (password protected) wifi network for this reason. I violate this rule only when I'm engaging in an activity that does not require any logins/passwords.

As far as virus/malware protection is concerned, it's much like the rhinoceros protection system at my home. I plugged in that device about a year ago and haven't had a single rhinoceros attack my house since. The best protection, already noted in this thread, is not to download software from unknown, non-curated sites and not to open programs sent via email from sources you're unfamiliar with.

The widespread mania to implement anti-virus software on Android devices comes mainly from those selling anti-virus programs. Likewise, the trend toward providing such "built-in" software for Android devices comes from hardware manufacturers seeking a competitive advantage by including useless (or worse) programs. For similar trends, see "task killers" for Android devices and "screen protectors" for gorilla glass screens.

This is not to say that there will never be a virus/malware threat directed at the relatively open Android OS. Nevertheless, the "sandbox" architecture of Android (much like that of Apple's iOS) prevents viruses from spreading into the device's OS. And if you look at the various "warnings" and "reports" of virus/malware threats on Android devices, you'll find that they are virtually ALL from firms that sell anti-virus software. Finally, if and when a serious malware threat emerges, it's very likely to be engineered in a way that existing malware protection software is useless.
    lovemyfire and jgplain like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Webroot is free in the amazon store.
    iamajim likes this.

Member #
    I thought that since it was Linux based we didn't have to worry about it.

Member #
    Well as much as I hate to disagree with supermoderator you should have the same protection that you would have on your home Pc. As an ex-IT Director I can tell you these tablets are just as vulnerable to virus if not more. Not only should you be careful about getting a virus the normal ways but all these free apps are breading grounds for potential. attacks. That's the problem with the rapid pace of change we have in the tech. world. these days. We tend to let our guards down with these inexpensive toys... but they are still as effective as an entrance to any public data ( ie- the net) that is out there. If you don't feel like shelling our any cash look at AVG for the androids. My 2 cents. Good luck.

Member #
    How do I find Avg in ap store??? It does not show up on my kindle

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I've had Android devices since November of 2009 and have been on a number of forums since that time. While I have read threads discussing various antivirus apps that people have come up with (usually because the antivirus interfered with the device's function), I have never read a thread where someone has picked up anything (outside of installing a questionable app). And I have never read an instance where someone claimed to have picked up malware on their phone's browser.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, I'm just sharing what I've come across. If anyone here knows of an instance, please share it, because I've yet hear it.

Update: Here's an interesting piece I found by Googling "Android virus":
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/articl...up_for_android

For me, for now, until I hear anything different, I'm just sticking to installing apps and app updates from reliable sources. That's my anti-virus protection.
    Last edited by grvthang; 05-21-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Member #
    I use lookout on my phone but have not figured out the sideloading trick so I am using Dr. Web on the tablet. It had the best recommends that I could see. With things the way they are today we need antivirus on everything, probably even our microwaves.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    If you want lookout or any other third party app on your fire. Google 1mobile from the silk browser. Click device on your fire, find/click on allow installation. Download the 1mobile app to your fire. First apps I would download is opera mobile, lookout, skyfire, firefox.
    fdalbor likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links