Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Mapquest App, how does it know where you are

This is a discussion on Mapquest App, how does it know where you are within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; I downloaded the Mapquest app from the Kindle store. The map shows me being at my home, which is correct. How does it know if ...

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Mapquest App, how does it know where you are

I downloaded the Mapquest app from the Kindle store. The map shows me being at my home, which is correct. How does it know if the Fire does not have a GPS?

I have a hunch that the MAC address of my router may be in the Google street maps database, as my home is on Google street view.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I'm pretty convinced this is why Mapquest is dead on with my home location on the Fire

"The company said the Wi-Fi data could help provide location-based services to people whose phones do not have GPS, for example."

Google explains why Street View cars record Wi-Fi data | Mobile Apps | ZDNet UK

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Sounds like this is how they do it.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I think wi-fi has a location tracker somewhere.
    SteamID: l4d2bob

Member #
    No, WiFi doesn't have a location tracker. But Google does - they (and Apple, but that's not relevant here) have been building huge databases of WiFi signals vs. GPS locations. Google does it with their StreetView cars, so they have a pretty complete list of where every signal they came close to is located. Tools like MapQuest can use that to look up any WiFi signal they can see and from that estimate your actual location - dead on frequently.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links