Register

Member Login

Welcome to the Kindle Fire Forum - Amazon Kindle Fire Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Any Kindle or Tab owners want to give some input???

This is a discussion on Any Kindle or Tab owners want to give some input??? within the Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions forums, part of the Amazon Kindle Fire Forum category; So I have been debating for weeks now on what to buy.... I don't really "need" a tablet but just want one. I hate getting ...

Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By wicked

Thread: Any Kindle or Tab owners want to give some input???

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Member #
    617
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8

    Any Kindle or Tab owners want to give some input???

    So I have been debating for weeks now on what to buy.... I don't really "need" a tablet but just want one. I hate getting my laptop out just to search forums or do some internet searching or pulling up PDF's for work. So I was going to buy the Kindle Fire. Seems like a nice unit and would do what I need. Then I saw the HTC flyer on BestBuy for only $100 more. Well i ordered one, thought the Camera, Bluetooth, More storage, GPS was worth the extra $100. Well it's on backorder and i'm leary that it will ever be available before being discontinued... So, I did some more sale searching and found the Toshiba Thrive was on sale for $300, was going to order one of those (for the extra features) but I missed the sale by a day... so now i'm stuck. I would like those extra features that the kindle doesn't have but don't really wanna pay more than $100 extra. I thought heck $100 extra is worth it, but getting $150-200 extra i just don't see i NEED it that much. so since there aren't any sales for around $300 i'm back on the kindle kick... I keep reading about rooting it and such to make it more of a "traditional" tab but not sure if i root it will I lose all the amazon features (cloud storage in particular). I guess I just wonder what you all think. So let me have it.... Unless something goes on sale soon I'm on the kindle fire bandwagon...
    Thanks!
    -Nate

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Member #
    181
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    6
    I own an Acer Iconia A500, (grabbed when they first hit the market), and the Fire (pre ordered that baby too). I love the both. The A500 is an awesome product and Acer just released an 8 gig version for just over 200 bucks at Best Buy. Snag an Iconia for the extra hardware, bells and whistles.

    bill

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    59
    Liked
    51 times
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Colonial Heights Virginia
    Posts
    801
    If that's all you will ever do the Fire is an excellent choice.
    I have both a Fire and Galaxy Tab 10.1. Since the Fire is a present for my daughter I haven't messed with it much, been playing with the demo in Best Buy instead. The Tab ( fill in one you are interested in) will do a ton more, should you find that there are things you never considered doing that you want to do. She wants something to check her email, listen to music, Facebook, etc with a larger screen than her phone and less girth than her laptop.
    What I have found is my Tab will do about 80% of what my desktop will do and for the other 20% I use an app called Splashtop to access my desktop remotely. It is not available on the Amazon market and I haven't tried to side load it on the Fire yet.
    The Fire is an excellent mdeia device but the limitations, imo, hurt it as our "needs" grow.
    Hope that helps
    Support Our Troops!!!

    Sent from this Galaxy via Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Member #
    617
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikermark View Post
    If that's all you will ever do the Fire is an excellent choice.
    I have both a Fire and Galaxy Tab 10.1. Since the Fire is a present for my daughter I haven't messed with it much, been playing with the demo in Best Buy instead. The Tab ( fill in one you are interested in) will do a ton more, should you find that there are things you never considered doing that you want to do. She wants something to check her email, listen to music, Facebook, etc with a larger screen than her phone and less girth than her laptop.
    What I have found is my Tab will do about 80% of what my desktop will do and for the other 20% I use an app called Splashtop to access my desktop remotely. It is not available on the Amazon market and I haven't tried to side load it on the Fire yet.
    The Fire is an excellent mdeia device but the limitations, imo, hurt it as our "needs" grow.
    Hope that helps
    Support Our Troops!!!

    Sent from this Galaxy via Tapatalk
    Thanks for the input Guys!! And I keep thinking along the lines you're giving. I thought, if i buy myself a fire now. Try it out, see what it's all about then if i need more down the road, or don't like the size or whatever I can give this to my daughter who is 5 and she can play games, listen to music etc. and then I have some knowledge of tablets and the likes/dislikes and then can buy something that more fits me. I just hate to go out and buy a full blown $450 tab (7 or 10") and then all of the sudden it sits most the time and collects dust because for some reason i don't use it. or I say man i wish i went with a 7" instead of 10" or vice versa. Where with the fire, it's $200, not too expensive, i can get my feet wet, try it out, root it and see what i think. Then hopefully by then either Tabs will be on sale, or have gone down some in price. Good idea???

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Member #
    632
    Liked
    1 times
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    4
    Great info- I'm in the same boat as nfrees114. Thanks for sharing.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    59
    Liked
    51 times
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Colonial Heights Virginia
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by nfrees114 View Post
    Thanks for the input Guys!! And I keep thinking along the lines you're giving. I thought, if i buy myself a fire now. Try it out, see what it's all about then if i need more down the road, or don't like the size or whatever I can give this to my daughter who is 5 and she can play games, listen to music etc. and then I have some knowledge of tablets and the likes/dislikes and then can buy something that more fits me. I just hate to go out and buy a full blown $450 tab (7 or 10") and then all of the sudden it sits most the time and collects dust because for some reason i don't use it. or I say man i wish i went with a 7" instead of 10" or vice versa. Where with the fire, it's $200, not too expensive, i can get my feet wet, try it out, root it and see what i think. Then hopefully by then either Tabs will be on sale, or have gone down some in price. Good idea???
    The rules change soon with the quad core, larger RAM ones with ice cream sandwich getting ready to release as well. What is bleeding edge today will seem prehistoric by this time next year

    Support Our Troops!!
    Sent from an Incredible phone via Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Administrator
    Member #
    2
    Liked
    57 times
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    187
    You guys that are on the fence might want to checkout this nice review by dvdcatalyst. Kindle Fire Review
    crowfax and dvdcatalyst like this.

 

 

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Kindle Fire owners: Post screenshots/video of programming PDF on the Kindle Fire
    By kevinold in forum Amazon Kindle Fire General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-16-2011, 02:55 PM

Search tags for this page

acer iconia a500 vs kindle fire

,

kindle owner's input

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Back to Top